Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges o
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee in our Applied Cryptography team? Join us – and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a Research Trainee, your key goals are to familiarize yourself with the research work as an integral part of the Applied Cryptography team. In this position, you will have an essential role in researching novel uses of modern cryptography to strengthen cybersecurity and privacy, sharing and verifying your research results by either doing your Bachelor thesis, publishing a research paper, or developing a proof-of-concept prototype. In this position, you will have an essential role in the national research of cryptography and its latest development.
Our team, Applied Cryptography, works on state-of-the-art cryptographic development, including quantum-resistant algorithms, applications on the blockchain, quantum key distribution, privacy-enhancing technologies, self-sovereign identities, and quantum computing as such. The majority of our team is located in Oulu.
What would your responsibilities as a Research Trainee include?
- You’ll research the novel use of cryptography to strengthen cybersecurity and privacy. The topic might be e.g. mathematical, studying lattice-based cryptography.
- You’ll verify the research results either by doing your Bachelor thesis, publishing or developing a proof-of-concept
- You’ll use your advanced skills in English to write research reports or blogs that help the team communicate the research results.
- Our cozy team will always be happy to assist you.
Who we are looking for?
You have good Finnish and English skills and experience or studies in at least one of these:
- Cryptography or related mathematics, e.g. for lattice-based cryptography, graph theory
- Programming, e.g. in Python, C++
- Using mathematical tools, like Matlab, R
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Computer scientist, mathematician, or physicist interested in cryptography, privacy, cybersecurity, and/or quantum.
- Curious and interested in learning.
- Open to sharing your thoughts, asking questions, discuss your opinions.
- A team player, sharing not only results but also problems with others.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Applied Cryptography team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Markus Rautell (lattice research), +358 50 5315094; Visa Vallivaara (other mathematics),+358 40 1398326; Ville Ollikainen (team leader), +358 400 841116.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Location: Preferably Oulu; depending on your topic, also Espoo is possible
VTT is one of Europe’s leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT’s research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.