VP of Engineering Candidates must have the right to work in the UK, sponsorship unavailable. UK, Edinburgh preferred Full time, permanent ……….. Salary is dependent on experience - £100,000
VP of Engineering
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK, sponsorship unavailable.
UK, Edinburgh preferred
Full time, permanent
Salary is dependent on experience – £100,000 – £150,000 with equity
We are seeking a VP of Engineering to join our dedicated, multi-disciplinary team. You will join as we define a unique position in the market. We are working on wrapping tokens with legal blockchain-native legal agreements, and are scaling to capitalise on the recent boom in non-fungible tokens and decentralised finance.
You will collaborate and work with our CTO and act as a peer on architectural decisions.
Monax was one of the earliest blockchain companies. One of the original proponents of permissioned and proof-of-stake blockchains. We have been early innovators in smart contracts and legal automation. We fully believe the time has come for adoption of a digital legal layer.
Monax converts paper to computable agreements that humans and machines can read. No more word documents in email attachments. Our digital agreements can bridge on-chain and off-chain assets. Smart contracts can use our on-chain interfaces to enforce terms.
Your core skills matter more than specific knowledge and you will have an opportunity to change our technical stack. Currently we use: Typescript (front end and API), Go, Solidity, OpenZeppelin, Postgres, Hyperledger Burrow, React, Kubernetes, Helm.
What you will be doing:
- Leading, guiding and mentoring our distributed and async team of engineers. Keep our engineers happy as we scale so they can help us meet our product goals
- A strong ability to analyse technical problems in multiple domains and at different levels of abstraction
- Being a significant individual contributor; expect to spend at least half of your time doing technical work
- Optimising the day-to-day engineering flow; organising, ticketing, and removing blockers
- Establishing and maintaining engineering-wide metrics, goals, and quality standards
- Line management and development of our engineers
- Creating clear documentation for both internal and external audiences including architecture decision records, design documents, diagrams, and over-communicating in general
- Collaborate with our Product team to create plans and technical roadmaps and to execute on them
You’ll have a high level of autonomy and we want you to use your leadership skills and intellect to excite us. You’ll have the freedom to help us design organizational structure and processes so we can scale. Your skills should augment and compliment our already talented team of engineers.
So, in summary, who do we need? Someone who has:
- Around 3-5 years in engineering management at an engineering-led organization.
- Experience with a remote and distributed team would be great, but it’s not essential
- At least 7 years good software engineering experience
- The ability to present complex concepts to varied audiences, and be able to interact with all levels of leadership
- Experience with all parts of technical recruiting, team building, attracting and retaining talent
- Experience of failure as well as success
- Experience in scaling engineering teams
Nice to have:
- Ideally you’ll have experience in a high growth start-up or scale-up
- Experience in blockchain technology
We are very keen to see candidates from a range of backgrounds. You may not have worked at a VP level before. What’s more important is that you have the skills and experience we need.
We want someone who can be an individual contributor with demonstrable technical depth. This could be in cryptography, algorithms, computer science, or some other aspect of software engineering. We don’t need an expert in a specific discipline. We’d like people who have scratched beneath the surface to bring added technical depth to the team.
It is important that you are able to engage, and on occasion back yourself in honest and respectful discussions with colleagues. You are able to change your mind about something after consideration. We’d like you to have the ability to change minds too.
We want you to lead, motivate, and empower our engineers to do their best work.
What can we offer you?
- The chance to lead and shape projects at the cutting edge of blockchain technologies
- Extremely marketable experience in the blockchain and legal tech spaces
- A high level of autonomy, freedom and self direction
- The opportunity to work across the entire stack and mobility between projects
- Remote working to fit the way you live your life. Currently Monax is fully remote. In the long term we expect to have a blended working environment. Split between remote and some time in-office
- The chance to join a fast moving start up at a genuinely exciting time as we scale and move forward to market
- A friendly, positive and truly empathetic working environment