Clearmatics is a protocol engineering company. We are building a new financial market architecture that is more open, fair, and resilient than the legacy systems that are in use today. We develop protocols and software that create new markets for risk and more efficient infrastructure for trading, backed by a robust and scalable proof-of-stake blockchain network, and secured with modern cryptographic techniques and economic mechanism design.
Clearmatics is based in London but operates on a ‘remote first’ model. We welcome candidates from all over the world. We have close ties to the Open Source and Ethereum communities, with Vitalik Buterin as an adviser.
We’re looking to hire an experienced leader for the entire gamut of activities in relation to running our own Validator Nodes using Autonity, an EVM compatible, delegated-proof-of-stake, Byzantine Fault Tolerant Layer 1 protocol developed by Clearmatics. Validator nodes will be the most important infrastructure Clearmatics operates, and this role will be key to our success.
We are currently running nodes for several testnets across GCP, AWS, Digital Ocean, and several other experimental hosting contexts. However, we are keen to improve and re-evaluate all aspects of our node strategy and infrastructure under the direction of the Validator Node Leader.
You have several years of experience being responsible for the operation of validator nodes in a blockchain mainnet, and are familiar with all that this entails, such as hardware and software infrastructure management, security, resource planning, communications within the community of validators, and working in a highly independent and self-directed fashion. You can thrive in a fast-paced and innovative startup environment, and you are not deterred by unknowns or unfamiliar concepts.
You communicate clearly in writing and in discussions, and you are always on the lookout for ways to improve the performance, profitability, and usefulness of the nodes you are running. You love implementing efficient and highly secure systems, and have a deep rooted appreciation for how implementation details affect the big picture, and vice versa.
- Manage the company’s validator node operations across several testnets and mainnets using Autonity, a new dPoS BFT L1 protocol designed by Clearmatics, and in this context be responsible for internal SLAs and committed to KPIs;
- Play a key role within the global Autonity Community: participate in a leading position, and contribute to Autonity Layer-1 design discussions within the community for node operators, developers, and other stakeholders;
- Be the interface for Clearmatics to the community of validators, managing and coordinating client upgrades, hard forks, and emergency responses to failures;
- Specify, procure, and set up the environment and infrastructure for validator nodes, as well as associated monitoring, logging, reporting, and alerting;
- Design and implement processes around validator node operations, such as incident response, key management, change management;
- Work closely with the Clearmatics Autonity development team;
- Create and define processes to extract maximum value from validator operations (including staking/bonding of stake; reaping of validator rewards) and reduce loss risks;
- Provide training and guidance for other members of the infrastructure team, or your own direct reports, to ensure 24/7 node operation;
- Communicate technical details via open source documentation;
- Work with various teams and the wider community to engage with new trends and opportunities revealed by internal data, blockchain research and the wider blockchain industry.
- Experience managing validator nodes for a delegated-proof-of-stake Byzantine Fault Tolerant blockchain mainnet;
- Ability to demonstrate a deep understanding of the implications of protocol changes, e.g. in the context of forks;
- Outstanding ability to reason about the economics and incentive structures of a blockchain system;
- Experience with cryptographic key management on production systems;
- Familiarity with deploying and testing production software (including blockchain nodes) in various cloud environments;
- A deep and detailed understanding of accountability, consensus algorithms, and real-world risks, with a particular focus on financial and reputational implications;
- The ability to work closely and in detail with technical and research teams for the practical exploration of scenarios; testing; and continuous improvement.
NICE TO HAVE
- An entrepreneurial inclination
- Experience with redundant systems and distributed data storage solutions (e.g. CEPH)
- In-depth experience with cloud hosting platforms
- A keen interest in decentralised and traditional Financial Markets
Job Type: Full-time