Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. 5+ years of design industry experience....
Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
As UX Design Lead you’ll contribute to every aspect of the product creation process, from brainstorming the next great innovation to tweaking pixels before launch. You’ll mentor members of our team to elevate our level of craft, guide branding decisions to form a uniquely IBM product experience, and drive UX and UI consistency and quality across the large portfolio of computer, networking, storage and database offerings.
This role is within our Design Principal track and will be considered for this appointment by IBM’s Design Leadership Review Board upon joining the team and submitting the required package during the yearly review cycle.
- Represent design as part of the cross-functional IaaS leadership team to help set the direction for the organization, such as participating in VP-level staff meetings and status meetings.
- Collaborate side-by-side with brilliant Engineers, Architects and Offering Leaders on strategy and direction, as the voice of the user. Partner with user researchers to utilize generative research in strategy development
- Partner closely with junior designers to help them work through tough problems. Support them when they escalate design decisions that need backing
- Actively participate in design discovery activities to help define products and features
- Continuously improve the operational way we engage with cross functional teams throughout the entire product delivery process of idea to execution
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 5+ years of design industry experience
- User-centered mindset: define user experience goals and design principles; translate technological, operational, and functional constraints into human-centered opportunities. Should feel comfortable leading others to use design thinking to achieve results that matter
- UX: ability to understand, navigate, and design for complex technical landscapes; demonstrate proficient skill in understanding content, functions, and relationships within a given ecosystem/portfolio; demonstrate in a visual and compelling manner to drive alignment across team
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- 3+ years of hands-on work experience creating software experiences, preferably for enterprise-level software and systems
- Cloud computing domain fluency: demonstrate robust understanding of the fundamentals of Cloud.
- Ability to build cross-functional partnerships with technical and business partners, leading team to higher quality outcomes
- Attention to detail: you care about the details and push the quality of the portfolio’s work beyond the status quo.
- Curiosity: consistently learning about the domain by keeping up with industry trends, competitive analysis, engaging in research, etc.
About Business UnitIBM’s Cloud and Cognitive software business is committed to bringing the power of IBM’s Cloud and Watson/AI technologies to life for our clients and ecosystem partners around the world. IBM provides you with the most comprehensive and consistent approach to development, security and operations across hybrid environments—with complete software solutions for business and IT operations, development, data science, security, and management. Our experts and software capabilities help organizations develop applications once and deploy them anywhere, integrate security across the breadth of their IT estate, and automate operations with management visibility. With IBM, you also have access to new skills and methods, governance and management approaches, and a deep ecosystem of industry experts and partners.
Your Life @ IBMWhat matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
About IBMIBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
Location StatementIBM wants you to bring your whole self to work and for you this might mean the ability to work flexibly. If you are interested in a flexible working pattern, please talk to our recruitment team to find out if this is possible in the current working environment.
Being You @ IBMIBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.