Introduction At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Instana is a leading observability and application performance monitoring (APM) tool. Our mission is to be the best-in-class tool for cloud-native microservice architecture observability. To achieve this, we receive and process billions of data points every day. We are looking for an experienced engineer to join our globally distributed Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team that operates Instana’s SaaS platforms.
As a member of the Instana SRE team, you will:
+ Operate and improve the Instana infrastructure with a strong focus on reliability, security and cost
+ Develop automation tooling for deployments, upgrades and self-remediation
+ Participate in 24×7 on-call rotation, incident response and root cause analysis
+ Work with product teams to
- Understand reliability and costs implications of new components and services
- Perform production readiness checks
- Design meaningful SLOs that help meet our availability goals
+ Assist in the design of the application and system architecture to meet future scalability requirements
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Software development, software engineering and/or system operations experience supporting cloud offerings
- System administration/engineering experience (Ubuntu and RedHat)
- Experience with at least one of these clouds:
- Google Cloud Platform(GCP)
- IBM Cloud
- Experience with cloud technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, and Open Shift
- Experience with infrastructure as code and configuration management tools (e.g. Terraform, Chef, Ansible)
- Approach troubleshooting systematically and have a deep sense of ownership for your work
- Passion for resolving reliability issues and identify strategies to mitigate going forward
- Experience with at least one of these datastores:
You should be open to learning new technologies and willing to get your hands dirty across the entire software stack.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- DevOps engineering or SRE
- Networking (HTTP, Cloudflare, TLS, Akamai, DNS) to troubleshoot network and load balancer issues.
- Source control (Git, GitHub) and CI/CD pipeline (Jenkins)
- Software development experience (Golang and Java preferred)
- Experience with developing monitoring for production components and instrumenting code for observability using Instana or LogDNA.
- Motivated to learn new technologies
- Strong verbal and communication skills
- Capability to work in a global, multicultural and diverse environment
About Business UnitIBM’s Cloud and Cognitive software business is committed to bringing the power of IBM’s Cloud and Watson/AI technologies to life for our clients and ecosystem partners around the world. IBM provides you with the most comprehensive and consistent approach to development, security and operations across hybrid environments—with complete software solutions for business and IT operations, development, data science, security, and management. Our experts and software capabilities help organizations develop applications once and deploy them anywhere, integrate security across the breadth of their IT estate, and automate operations with management visibility. With IBM, you also have access to new skills and methods, governance and management approaches, and a deep ecosystem of industry experts and partners.
Your Life @ IBMAre you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It’s time to define your career.
About IBMIBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business. At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
Location StatementIBM wants you to bring your whole self to work and for you this might mean the ability to work flexibly. If you are interested in a flexible working pattern, please talk to our recruitment team to find out if this is possible in the current working environment.
Being You @ IBMIBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.