Introduction At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Server Build Technician Tier I – Infrastructure Technician:
The Server build technician role is a hardware focussed position maintaining the day-to-day operation of the IBM Cloud Data Centres as well as provisioning customer server orders. Duties will include installing/upgrading system components, performing on-going maintenance on servers/network equipment and providing a high level of customer service to end users.
Generally the required skills for the server build technician position are:
a. General understanding of computer networking concepts.
b. Customer focused attitude with some previous customer service experience.
c. Network wiring/cabling experience a plus.
d. Moderate knowledge of PC hardware concepts and component installation.
Classification requirements (job description):
- Infrastructure members are not permitted to operate on servers in live racks unless under the direct supervision of a Shift Lead or Management. (Limitation applies to Tier I technicians only)
- Performs work in an accurate, thorough, productive and timely manner, including meeting all applicable deadlines; adhere to all relevant operational policies/procedures, including those regarding workplace safety.
- Works under direct supervision either individually or in a team environment.
- Exercises discretion within the employee’s level and training.
- Able to inspect work for conformity with established operational standards.
- Able to maintain records or reports in accordance with company procedures.
- Able to communicate and to work with other technicians, departments, and customers (Minor interaction).
- Responsible for datacenter infrastructure build out which includes but is not limited to building racks, installing rack mount equipment, and cabling.
- Responsible for management of datacenter cabling to SoftLayer standards. Including projects that improve the datacenter aesthetics.
Datacenter Walkthroughs –
- Perform required walkthroughs per shift of the facility as mandated by compliance. Technicians will identify minor deficiencies to the appearance \ aesthetics of the site and escalate any facility issues to Site Management.
Hardware Pre-provisioning –
- Responsible for pre-building servers to a provisionable state for upcoming customer orders, internal projects, capacity or other business needs.
- Knowledgeable with SoftLayer hardware, substitution rules, and compatibility.
Distressed Servers –
- Responsible for assigned distressed statuses that revolve around populating servers with hardware or processing liquidations.
- Responsible for minor hardware prep tasks.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Operating System Installation – Windows Server, Linux, Unix
- Rack, cable, and deploy Cisco Layer 2 networking equipment
- Moderate knowledge of PC hardware concepts and component installation.
- Basic knowledge of various internet-related services and software (mail, web, DNS, etc).
- Must be able to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- General understanding of computer networking concepts.
- Customer focused attitude with some previous customer service experience.
- Network wiring/cabling experience a plus.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
About Business Unit
Digitization is accelerating the ongoing evolution of business, and clouds – public, private, and hybrid – enable companies to extend their existing infrastructure and integrate across systems. IBM Cloud provides the security, control, and visibility that our clients have come to expect. We are working to provide the right tools and environment to combine all of our client’s data, no matter where it resides, to respond to changing market dynamics.
Your Life @ IBM
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It’s time to define your career.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
IBM ist es wichtig, Ihnen ein Arbeitsumfeld zu bieten, in dem Sie Ihr ganzes Potenzial voll entfalten können und die Möglichkeit haben, Ihren Arbeitstag flexibel zu gestalten. Wenn Sie Interesse daran haben, sprechen Sie uns bitte an, um herauszufinden, welche Gestaltungsmöglichkeiten im aktuellen Arbeitsumfeld bestehen.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.