Senior Research Engineer – Data Sharing & integration platforms
Job Description: The Bristol Research & Innovation Laboratory of Toshiba Europe Limited is looking for a Senior Research Engineer in Data sharing and integration platforms to join a diverse team o
The Bristol Research & Innovation Laboratory of Toshiba Europe Limited is looking for a Senior Research Engineer in Data sharing and integration platforms to join a diverse team of researchers.
This role involves developing new data sharing and integration platform solutions, that use or integrate existing cloud and edge deployed platforms, with enhanced data connectors. The role will include developing proof of concept prototypes as well as researching and evaluating new enhancements to both data and control planes supporting the overall platform integration.
Knowledge of cloud data sharing and integration platform as a service (iPaaS) state of the art is essential together with keen interest in researching and evaluating enhancements, that are based on standards such as the International Dataspace Association (IDSA) frameworks
Generating IP and research publications at high quality journals and top conferences would be highly encouraged. As well as collaboration with world leading researchers both through academic and industrial partnerships as well as with researchers and engineers in other Toshiba units.
- Research, and develop new approaches for cross-domain data sharing and digital / integration platforms
- Developing proof-of-concept implementation and evaluation of novel enhancements to existing approaches
- Publishing research in leading conferences and journals
- A PhD or MSc with equivalent experience in data sharing platforms or a related field (Post-doctoral/industrial experience is beneficial).
- In-depth knowledge of fundamentals and state-of-the-art in data sharing and microservice architectures
- Strong system engineering background / experience
- Strong publication record at major conferences and journals
- Self-motivated and excellent problem-solving skills
- Solid programming skills with Java and SQL
- Experience of patent applications and intellectual property management is desirable but not essential
Understanding and experience with using and deploying Kubernetes (K8S, K3S), API management and integration platforms (WSO2 / Choreo), service meshes (e.g. Istio, Consul) and distributed ledger technologies (DLT) and smart contracts, such as AWS Managed Blockchain (Hyperledger) services.
Knowledge of data sharing standards and architectures based on IDSA dataspace connector or Eclipse data connector. Also, data plane solutions such as Apache Arrow Flight and data management and virtualisation such as Denodo. Awareness of database technologies such as Postgres, Mongodb and data analytics using Databricks and AWS or other cloud services. Java and Spring Framework development and testing with open source tools such as Eclipse IDE or Microsoft Visual Studio.