Recruiter Note: We have an office in central Barcelona, but we are equally eager to speak with candidates based in elsewhere in Spain who'd like to work remotely. Background Apto Payments is tra
Recruiter Note: We have an office in central Barcelona, but we are equally eager to speak with candidates based in elsewhere in Spain who’d like to work remotely.
Apto Payments is transforming the card issuance industry. We help companies issue new kinds of cards with a better cardholder experience by removing constraints and enabling new use cases. Founded in 2014 as Shift Payments, the company worked with Coinbase to launch the first Bitcoin debit card. Today, as Apto, our mission is ambitious, creating new ways to connect people to their assets – crypto and non-crypto – by helping companies successfully launch innovative, user-centric card programs.
Apto is a well funded early stage startup, headquartered in San Francisco. We are focused on growing our business in a responsible way, building best-in-class products while managing regulatory and financial risk. We’re motivated to empower developers and customers to design and build the next generation of can’t-live-without card products. Our headquarters are in San Francisco, but we have fully embraced and are constantly improving our remote-focused culture for those who prefer to be based elsewhere in the United States.
The Role & Opportunity
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to help build the future of payments by developing our microservices-based backend that powers our native apps and runs real-time authorization logic for major financial institutions. You will report to our VP of Engineering while working closely with engineers in Spain as well as the US. You will have a lot of latitude to accomplish your job, and have daily access to support from senior leadership.
You are a motivated, proactive, self-teaching Backend Engineer that wants to own more of the backend stack. You know what you are good at and you work to fill your gaps to ensure you deliver the best possible experience to our stakeholders..
You also have:
- An engineering mindset, demonstrated by a STEM degree or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of backend development experience in high-traffic platforms
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals
- Proficiency in Python is preferred, but high-level candidates in other languages will definitely be considered as well
- A deep understanding of API development with HTTP, REST, and JSON
- Experience with unit testing frameworks
- A passion for clean code
- Sound judgement for balancing when to cut corners vs. long-term code maintainability
- Proficiency with a code versioning tool such as Git
- Familiarity with some form of test driven development
- Excellent written and verbal communication (english and spanish) and interpersonal skills; able to effectively collaborate with technical and business partners.
- The ability to understand and suggest improvements in our code as well as write the necessary tests to be sure that the features that you deliver are good to be shipped.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Stipend for ongoing professional development
- Work with a diverse team of impact-driven individuals
- Opportunity to build solutions for millions of people around the world
- Hybrid work environment – Ability to work from a local office or remote depending on location. Take an in-person meeting when it’s more efficient, and skip the commute when it’s not needed.
Prospective Talent and Job Applicant Privacy Notice *
When you apply to a job on this site, any personal data you provide, or which is collected as part of this process, will be processed by Apto Payments in order to manage its recruitment and hiring related activities. Under European data protection laws, your rights may include the right to access, port, erase, restrict, rectify or object to the processing of your personal data or where we rely on consent, the right to withdraw that consent.
California Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), Apto Payments is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together “job applicants”) about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. This applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA such as:
- Personal and online identifiers (such as first and last name, email address, or unique online identifiers)
- Categories of information described in Section 1798.80(e) of the California Civil Code (such as physical characteristics or description, social security number, driver’s license or state identification number, address, insurance policy number, and bank account number)
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law (such as race or gender)
- Professional or employment-related information
- Education information
- Other information about you that is linked to the personal information above