Basic information Location London Service line Tax & Legal Date published 13-Sep-2021 Req # 6944 Job description Your opportunity If you are a talented, entrepreneurial and ambitious lawyer
If you are a talented, entrepreneurial and ambitious lawyer, who sees things a bit differently, Deloitte Legal could be for you. We have built a new kind of law firm – a market-leading legal advisory business with technology at its core – and you can help us to shape it.
Deloitte Legal in the UK brings together over 350 top-flight lawyers, consultants and technology experts. People who understand the implications of digitisation, decentralisation, big data, AI, robotics and platform-based business models in today’s world. In addition, because our clients’ needs generally span more than one country, our team is part of a global network of more than 2,000 Deloitte Legal professionals who collaborate seamlessly across more than 80 countries worldwide.
Unlike traditional law firms, we can tap into the multidisciplinary expertise of Deloitte to provide holistic legal, tax, risk, financial advisory and other consulting advice to an unmatched list of clients, from listed multinational companies to entrepreneurs and family offices.
Our Commercial Technology team has established itself as one of the strongest in the UK. Our legal professionals work with clients in sectors as diverse as financial services, software and services, online, content, equipment and telecommunications, building extensive knowledge and insight into the legal and commercial challenges they face.
Blockchain and distributed ledger technology, including cryptocurrencies and cryptoassets, is transforming digital and non-digital sectors of all types. We act for a diverse range of ‘crypto-first’ clients such as cryptocurrency exchanges, platforms, service providers, and wallets, along with ‘traditional’ business sectors such as a full spectrum of financial services institutions, FinTechs, retail clients and brands, and more. We guide our clients on crypto matters, combining our expertise in technology, technology contracting, and FS regulatory advice.
We are looking to recruit a Senior Associate to help us expand our distributed ledger and cryptocurrency practice within the Commercial Technology team. The successful candidate will principally work with the Partners in the team who work with ‘crypto’, FinTech and FS clients. As such the role will suit someone with a dual interests in both the technology & financial services sectors who is:
- Looking to gain experience across a wide range of cutting edge distributed ledger and FS related matters and clients;
- Confident in facing new opportunities for learning as technologies expand into new areas;
- Happy to be involved in developing the business in addition to fee-earning.
You will be responsible for supporting the legal needs of both suppliers and customers in these sectors, of all sizes and profiles across the range of technology and regulatory related issues.
You will be expected to develop and apply in-depth knowledge of the distributed ledger and crypto sectors, in particular as it relates to financial regulation, working towards commercial solutions for our clients in this continually evolving environment.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: Your home office will be London, but this client-facing role provides opportunity for travel in the UK and overseas.
Work pattern: This is a permanent contract opportunity. Our team members work a variety of agile working patterns. Tell us what arrangement works for you and we’ll try to accommodate.
Your professional experience
Candidates will need to have a real interest in developing your industry knowledge and relevant sector experience in the distributed ledger, cryptocurrency, and financial regulatory sectors from all perspectives.
The successful candidate will have:
- A robust understanding of the foundations of distributed ledger technologies, along with more recent developments.
- Experience of advising technology clients in relation to complex technology contracts, including software development, software licensing, systems integration and cloud.
- Experience advising clients in the financial services sector in relation to perimeter guidance and analysis, including aspects of the FCA Handbook and PRA Rulebook relevant to technology contracting.
- Experience of handling complex TMT matters, gained within highly ranked practice and at an appropriate level
- Excellent analytical, drafting, negotiation and advisory skills
- Experience of acting for in-house legal, commercial, technology and procurement teams and fast growth company C-level representatives
- Exposure to contractual drafting and negotiation and also advisory work
- A desire and ability to develop client relationships, build business and the practice
- A clear understanding of the operation and structure of commercial law firm
In addition, we expect our Senior Associate to demonstrate:
- A commercial focus;
- An enthusiastic and responsive approach to client requirements;
- A high level of client contact and previous responsibility for client matters
- Excellent people skills and a good, clear communication style with the ability to liaise effectively with other fee earners from within the group, but also to liaise and coordinate with fee earners from other departments and jurisdictions as required
- The ability to manage aspects of complex matters and clients, with proven negotiation skills
- A knowledge of key areas of the law by providing clear, precise, practical advice
- Delegation and supervisory skills where appropriate
- Ability to work effectively in a challenging, team-based environment;
- An active interest and ability to proactively support business development activity, creating and maintaining strong client relationships, identifying new business opportunities and building a practice
- A commitment to regularly update their own technical expertise and to achieve continuous improvement and development; and
- The ability to contribute to the general upkeep of the group (e.g. training, precedents, or know-how generally)
Your service line: Legal
Deloitte is creating the law firm of the future now. We are re-imagining the way we deliver legal expertise and how we solve problems, combining innovation and deep business insights. By integrating legal advisory services with our vast consulting services and tech capabilities, we’re transforming the way that we deliver unique legal services across the globe.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your “Immediate Family Members” are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society – defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it’s about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people – both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
WPFULL SLTAXC BALGTX BAALLI