Responsible to: Head of Innovation Salary Range: £35k -£40K Term: Permanent Deadline for application: You can read the full job description below or download the PDF. Role Overview
Responsible to: Head of Innovation
Salary Range: £35k -£40K
Deadline for application:
You can read the full job description below or download the PDF.
Digital Catapult has a mission of accelerating the early adoption of advanced digital technologies across the UK. It does this nationally through programmes of collaboration and open innovation, aligned to a network of local centres. As a regional centre, Digital Catapult North East Tees Valley (DCNETV) is run by Sunderland Software City and focusses on driving adoption and economic benefit from emerging technology in sectors such as manufacturing and the creative industries.
At Sunderland Software City (SSC) our vision is to improve the economy by creating digital tech opportunities and our mission is to make a difference by pushing boundaries.
As part of the Innovation team this role will involve managing and delivering research projects with SMEs from scoping and design through to methodology and report writing, including managing and developing client relationships. Your role will be to engage with these businesses across a diverse range of sectors and to best craft a research plan to help them in their innovation journey.
You will initially be responsible for the delivery of short research projects as part of our offer as a regional catapult centre to best support SMEs through Innovate UK grant funding; this will involve working in collaboration with SME clients to understand their challenges and design research projects that help them identify the best solutions for these.
On the completion of this grant funding scheme, you will be responsible for delivering on other research projects as well as activity related to the organisation’s research strategy; this may stretch across the various teams within SSC.
This role is funded as part of the Digital Innovation Partnership which is financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) programme that is managed by the Department for Communities and Local Government.
How you’ll contribute to our vision
- Taking the lead in managing and delivering research projects, from scoping through to methodology and report writing, including managing and developing client relationships;
- Take the lead on the day-to-day management of a range of customer accounts and be the first point of contact for these accounts – ensuring that customer expectations are managed and fulfilled;
- Deliver a wide range of social research techniques including fieldwork such as telephone and in-person interviews, literature reviews, focus groups and data analysis;
- Undertake research and analysis to maintain a comprehensive understanding of new technologies and strategic business need & demand, as well as the performance of local markets, specific to the role;
- Work with senior managers and CEO to win new work from new and existing clients and proactively identify new business opportunities both in terms of research services and policy markets;
- Produce insightful research reports with sophisticated advice to support your clients in their decision-making;
- Contribute to the development and profile of our research expertise with customers and key funding bodies.
Working at Sunderland Software City
At Sunderland Software City we celebrate multiple approaches and opinions and believe diversity drives innovation. We are working hard to build a culture where difference is valued. We are a growing team and it’s important to us that we recruit the best people. We are committed to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
We aim to maintain an entrepreneurial culture within our organisation. As a small team, staff have the opportunity to get involved with different projects in the organisation.
We are committed to your personal development (CPD). If there is a course you’ve spotted, an event you’d like to attend, or if you’d like to shadow a colleague and learn a different skill, we will seek to facilitate this where possible.
We also work flexibly. Alongside having our own office in the heart of Sunderland, we encourage working from home and have various partnerships in place with local co-working spaces across the North East to facilitate flexible working,
All our perks:
- Flexible working
- Regular team socials
- Pension contributions
- Basic Bupa health insurance
- Subscription to the ‘Calm’ mental health app
- 25 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays
- A range of discounts and promotions via Charlie HR Perks at Work
- Commitment to CPD including events/paid training opportunities
- Cycle to work scheme
We actively encourage applications from people of under-represented groups as we strive to increase diversity in our workplace.
The deadline for applications is 16th September 2022 at 17:00.
Interviews will be held on 23rd September 2022.
Please note we are currently unable to sponsor work visas.
The following key skills and qualifications are a guide and should not be seen as a list of requirements. Even if you are not sure about your existing skills but are excited about the role, we encourage you to apply. Please contact us if you would like to discuss your suitability for the role further.
Important for success:
- Experience of delivering research projects
- Managing and delivering a portfolio of research projects to tight deadlines
- Interrogating and analysing datasets
- Ability to present, explain and interpret data or analysis to non-technical audiences, specifically businesses
- Preparing reports which are both objective and accessible to read
- Research design, such as devising interview and focus group topic guides, questionnaires, surveys and evaluation frameworks
- An interest in the tech sector
Nice to have:
- Proven experience of research in a business environment
- Project management experience , particularly related to public funds
- Understanding of emerging technologies including VR/AR, IoT , AI, and blockchain