Protocol Engineer London, United Kingdom or Remote About Clearmatics Clearmatics is a protocol engineering company. We are building a new financial market architecture that is more open, fair, and res
London, United Kingdom or Remote
Clearmatics is a protocol engineering company. We are building a new financial market architecture that is more open, fair, and resilient than the legacy systems that are in use today. We develop protocols and software that create new markets for risk and more efficient infrastructure for trading, backed by a robust and scalable blockchain network, and secured with modern cryptographic techniques and economic mechanism design.
Clearmatics is based in London but operates on a ‘remote first’ model. We welcome candidates from all over the world. We have close ties to the Open Source and Ethereum communities, with Vitalik Buterin as an adviser.
The Research group at Clearmatics is dedicated to developing solutions to the hard problems needed to advance our mission. We are academics and protocol engineers collaborating with teams inside and outside the company to translate theoretical results into running software implementations. Our work spans cryptography, game-theory, (computer) networking, identity systems and secure software implementation research, with a focus on their domain applications in financial markets.
We’re looking to hire a Protocol Engineer to expand our Research team.
You will work to design secure systems and protocols extending and building on top of PoS/BFT blockchains.
Part of your work will be about designing cryptographic protocols with sound incentives structures, implementing proofs of concepts, and collaborating with like-minded people and academics to find robust solutions to challenges faced by Clearmatics in the development of its product range. Ideal candidates will have a background in cryptography, protocol design and systems security, as well as a strong interest in finance and financial engineering. In addition to that, you should be passionate about the disruptive power of decentralization, and feel excited about solving complex problems.
- Staying up-to-date with the latest discoveries in the space of PoS/BFT blockchains.
- Collaborating closely with colleagues in the Research team in order to deliver new protocol specifications and PoCs.
- Playing a crucial role in pushing for breakthrough discoveries and keeping the R&D effort competitive.
- Providing ongoing peer-reviews and writing publications (blog posts, papers, …).
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Strong skills in systems security/applied cryptography/protocol design/distributed systems.
- Strong data-driven mindset, great attention to details and ability to solve problems creatively and effectively.
- Ability to think algorithmically.
- A hacker mindset and the ability to assess risks.
- An incommensurable love for mathematics.
- Keen on solving complex problems.
- Knowledge of engineering best practices.
- Good understanding of blockchain systems and the associated threat models.
- Knowledge of Python/SageMath and either C/C++ or Rust.
- Enthusiastic team player and outstanding communicator.
- Keen on learning.
Nice to have:
- Experience with Ethereum.
- Knowledge of PoS systems.
- Diverse range of security experience at an enterprise level in IT.
- Experience with modeling protocols/systems
What we value at Clearmatics:
- Collaboration and respect.
- Honesty & Humility.
- Ability to challenge others’ ideas and ability to be challenged.
- Truth seeking.
- “Can do” and “doer” mindset.
- Willingness to deliver robust solutions.
- Passion for the technology and its challenges.
- Continuous improvement and learning.
Job Type: Full-time