Introduction Promontory Financial Group, a business unit of IBM Consulting, is a global management consultancy focused on serving the financial services industry. We operate at the intersection of st
Promontory Financial Group, a business unit of IBM Consulting, is a global consultancy focused on serving the financial services industry. We operate at the intersection of strategy, risk , regulation, and technology to help our clients achieve their business goals through designing and imementing strategic initiatives, performing key functions, and managing regulatory, operational, and financial risks. Our 800+ experts acrs our global offices comprise former industry practitioners and former regulators who provide strategic advice related to regulatory challenges that is practical, creative, and tailored to meet the unique and changing needs of individual institutions.
The Wholesale Banking & Capital Markets practice is part of Promontory’s wider UK & Ireland business. Our team supports corporate and investment banks, trading and brokerage firms, asset managers, market infrastructure firms and other firms operating within the wholesale sector. We work clely with boards of directors, senior , business-line leaders, and comiance and risk professionals to help improve functions and business results, and advise them on comex and unique challenges.
Our work focuses on many areas that fall within regulatory scrutiny within the wholesale segment of the financial services industry. Some of the recent topics we have focused on include:
- Operating Models for Risk and Comiance Functions
- Comiance Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Market Conduct Comiance (e.g., MiFID II/MiFIR, MAR)
- OTC Derivatives Regulation (e.g., EMIR, Dodd-Frank Title VII)
- Enterprise-Wide Risk
- Conduct and Culture Programs
We also deliver Skilled Person Reviews for the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority, and support individuals in preparing for approvals under the Senior Managers and Certification Regime.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Within your role as an Associate at Promontory you will:
- Assist in drafting, revising and presenting client deliverables—including reports, correspondence, presentations, and written tools such as policies and templates.
- Lead a team of analysts to complete elements of client projects and assignments across multiple workstreams.
- Support senior stakeholders on larger client projects as and when required.
- Participate in client meetings, such as interviews or presentations, which often include senior executives or directors of the client.
- Play a hands-on role in business development, collaborating closely with our colleagues within the wider IBM firm, by helping to undertake research on specific clients and regulations, drafting proposals for clients, developing marketing materials to support our campaigns, and participating in meetings with current or potential clients.
- Take an active role in knowledge sharing, thought leadership and practice development to ensure the practice remains abreast of emerging trends and business opportunities.
- Support the wider practice in developing client relationships through external networking and contributing to knowledge sharing events.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Prior experience working in a Compliance and/or advisory role, ideally within the Wholesale sector.
- Strong working knowledge of the UK regulatory regime as it applies to the Wholesale sector, particularly the FCA handbook and/or European Regulations such as MiFID II, SFTR and MAR.
- Good understanding of specific focus areas for regulators such as governance and controls, conduct risk, transaction reporting and market abuse.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to construct well-founded, clear, and concise analyses and recommendations.
- Highly motivated, with a proven ability to work on own initiative within a fast-paced, high pressure work environment.
- Strong multi-tasker that can balance client delivery with business development activities.
- Ability to handle complex information and solve problems.
- Aptitude to execute engagement deliverables autonomously, work within a team and manage small teams.
- Effective communication skills and ability to develop strong relationships at all levels within an organisation.
- Strong skills in word, excel and PowerPoint.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Basic level of product knowledge relevant to the Wholesale sector.
- Broader understanding of other financial services sectors such as Retail Banking and Insurance.
- Some knowledge of other regulatory topics, such as the Senior Managers Regime, Operational Resilience and Financial crime.
- A relevant Regulatory or Compliance qualification (for example International Compliance Association certificate and/or diploma).
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK
About Business Unit
Promontory Financial Group was founded in 2001 by former Comptroller of the Currency Eugene Ludwig. The team of former regulators and business leaders came together to help financial services companies resolve the challenges arising from comiance, regulation, and changing market conditions in a highly regulated environment. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., Promontory rapidly expanded to meet the needs of a growing national and global client base of financial and non-financial institutions alike. The New York office ed in 2003, followed by San Francisco and Tokyo in 2004. Promontory became a wholly owned business unit of IBM Consulting in 2016. ease visit www.promontory.com to find out more about us.
Today, Promontory is a global firm with offices around the world. We excel at helping clients solve their mt difficult, technically comex, and sensitive challenges, leveraging the strength of our experts and scalable workforce, and IBM’s cutting-edge technology.
Your Life @ IBM
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s mt unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of peoe? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiity and discover new psibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly pitive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It’s time to define your career.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting emoyers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
IBM wants you to bring your whole self to work and for you this might mean the ability to work flexibly. If you are interested in a flexible working pattern, ease talk to our recruitment team to find out if this is psible in the current working environment.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity emoyer. All qualified apicants will receive consideration for emoyment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to comiance with all fair emoyment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.