Zurich is one of the world’s leading insurance groups, and one of the few to operate on a global basis. Our mission is to help our customers understand and protect themselves from risk. With about 60,000 employees serving customers in more than 170 countries, we aspire to become the best global insurer as measured by our shareholders, customers and employees. We help individuals, small and medium sized companies and global corporations around the world understand and protect themselves from risk by offering a wide range of insurance products, solutions and advisory services.
We are looking for a Product Development Engineer to join the Enterprise Data Architecture & Analytics organization (EDAA) within Group Operations and Technology. In this role, you will determine the right tools, platforms, and applied analytical techniques that will be used to the develop Products according to Business requirements, having in mind the potential transfer of PoC or Prototypes into industrialized products within EDAA stack of technologies. You will contribute to define a concrete approach on how the various Business Units and Group Functions interact with their data using end to end solutions.
To be successful as a Product Development Engineer, you should demonstrate great skill in creativity and innovation, ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment. Ultimately, a top-notch Product Development Engineer should have extensive experience in software development, be able to keep up to date with deadlines, and have strong analytical skills.
You will play a key role in representing the EDAA organization by creating highly appealing and intuitive products exposed to both internal and, for specific use cases, to external commercial customers
With a lean execution-focused team operating as a Lab, you are capable to translate the company incl. the Group Operation & Technology product strategy into real data driven solutions, from design thinking, to proof of concepts / prototypes to final productive solutions
You will support the Product Development Lead in aligning the vision across analytics, design, architecture, and build areas. You will support the product lab activities integrated with the offering of the other EDAA teams (architecture, project &development, support) and Business Transformation teams (Finance, UW, Claims, Digital customer journey), teams part of the Group Operation & Technology department. Delivery mechanism is centered on iterative and agile development through highly intensive customer interactions.
As a Product Development Engineer, your main responsibilities will involve:
- Work closely with the Product Lab Build Lead, building the PoC/Prototype and support the transition to industrialized end to end solutions.
- Advise and support the translation of the business demand in data driven solutions that your lean execution-focused team develop rapidly.
- Align with the data architects to propose/support the definition of the stack of technologies for corporate ready end to end solutions that could be industrialized using EDAA capabilities. Focus on integrating the diverse layers that conform vertical solutions, adopting latest approved market trends (cloud, parallel processing, IoT, virtual reality, machine learning, real time processing, blockchain).
- Define the appropriate build strategy working with the architecture, analytics, design, and product management teams.
- Use development/data processing/visualization tools to produce rapid prototypes in accordance with design specifications and development best practices.
- Advocate for technology-owned and led capabilities, using the available stack of front-end and backend technologies including Azure Cloud, AWS, Google Cloud.
- Provide specialist advice to address specific technical queries from internal clients and design/develop and deliver appropriate solutions, in line with organizational policies and processes and regulatory requirements.
- Adopt the latest trends in the software development tools and technology.
- Contribute to the delivery of assigned development projects and demonstration in the lab.
- Maintain strategic relationships with the product development externals.
Your Skills and Experience
We are expecting a deep knowledge of the front-end and the back end, as well as the components that unite them, and a strong ability to understand and use tools, platforms, and analytical techniques applied efficiently to solve Business problems in a way to create a long-term impact within the organization. Your skills and experience will ideally include:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline (Engineering, Computer Science).
- Energized, fast-learner and highly self-motivated. Demonstrates a strong sense of urgency and desire to get things done.
- 5+ years of relevant software development experience incl. Architecture, data integration, storage, insights. Solid experience in coding, testing, and integration using the best practices. Work with code versioning systems (GIT/Subversion). Familiarized with CD/CI.
- Front-end: strong knowledge of HTML and web frameworks (Angular, React, DOM, JSON, etc..). Experience in web architecture, ability to structure code in a way that is easy to maintain and can be reused or industrialized. Knows the operation of servers and networks, as well as APIs and user interface design (UI / UX). Nice to have, mobile development framework experience (IOS, Android).
- Back-end languages knowledge (Java, .NET, C#, C++): must know how to configure operations in databases, user registries and all kinds of functions that can be configured in all types of projects. Knowledge of NoSQL databases and other relational databases or in-memory storage to connect the data to the back end of the project Web architecture.
- Knowledge of data analytical languages Python, R, and SQL.
- Experience on product development/rapid application development/agile delivery methods.
- Ability to work effectively in a global organization, under high pressure and to manage ambiguity.
- Fluent in English (spoken and written).
- Nice to have, experience in Insurance, Consulting, or Financial Industry.
Primary work location is Barcelona. International travel for meetings/projects is required, depending on the project and customer needs.
Primary Location: Spain-Catalonia-Barcelona
As well as a competitive salary and a yearly bonus we offer benefits package which includes:
- Wide range of internal and external trainings
- Ticket restaurant
- Option to work remotely up to 50% of time weekly
- Pension Plan – after 1 year in the company
- Life Insurance
- Exclusive Employees discounts
- Free English and Spanish classes depends on the needs
Who we are
Looking for a challenging and inspiring work environment where you can make a difference? At Zurich millions of individuals and businesses place their trust in our products and services every day. Our 53,000 employees worldwide form the basis of our success, enabling, businesses and communities to face a world of risk with confidence. Imagine if you could help people do this all over the world. You’d give them confidence and reassurance by protecting what they love most. It’s a big challenge, but you will be supported by a world-class team who believe in helping you to reach your full potential and deliver on our promises.
So be challenged. Be inspired. Help us make a difference.
At Zurich we are an equal opportunity employer. We attract and retain the best qualified individuals available, without regard to race/ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability.