Job Opportunity in Bonn, Germany Join ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability! Application Deadline: 27 July 2022 ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network working with more
Job Opportunity in Bonn, Germany
Join ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability!
Application Deadline: 27 July 2022
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network working with more than 2,500 cities, towns and regions committed to sustainable urban development. Active in 125+ countries, we influence sustainability policy and drive local action for low emission, nature-based, equitable, resilient and circular development. Our members and team of experts work together through peer exchange, partnerships and capacity building to create systemic change for urban sustainability.
ICLEI´s Low Emission Development Pathway is implemented by all 27 ICLEI Offices through a wide range of projects and initiatives. This Pathway is coordinated by ICLEI’s Bonn Center for Local Climate Action and Reporting (carbonn®Climate Center), focusing on 4 main action areas relevant to this call:
- Managing global platforms and systems with associated services to local and regional governments around the globe, such as the online Solutions Gateway and CDP-ICLEI Track (connected to the carbonn®Climate Registry).
- Offering policy guidance and technical assistance through ICLEI’s GreenClimateCitiesTMProgram to support cities, towns and regions in addressing the global climate emergency by achieving climate neutrality.
- Enabling networking, peer exchange and learning opportunities on a diverse range of topics.
- Engaging in climate advocacy on behalf of cities, towns and regions, also supporting ICLEI’s role as focal point of the Local Governments and Municipal Authorities (LGMA) constituency at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
To support the Climate Action Team at the World Secretariat, we seek a highly motivated, pro-active, and experienced candidate for the position of:
Officer, Climate Action and Data
The successful candidate will be a part of the Climate Action Team at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany. The position is attractive for young career professionals interested in a dynamic working environment, working as part of a key international team.
- Work with ICLEI thematic teams around the globe to guide, train and provide coherent feedback to local and regional governments (“reporting entities”) on how to report through CDP-ICLEI Track, how to deal with data gaps and identify areas for improvement/acceleration of climate action – for a range of initiatives (partly interrelated), including:
- ICLEI’s GreenClimateCitiesTMProgram and its contribution to the Race to Zero / Race to Resilience
- Global Covenant of Mayors (GCoM) and badge allocation
- EcoMobility Alliance.
- Regularly liaise with all ICLEI offices and CDP to plan and jointly mobilize subnational governments around the globe to report through CDP-ICLEI Track.
- Review self-reported data: commitments (e.g. robust science-based targets), assessments (e.g. community-scale GHG Inventories), actions and their estimated impact.
- Ensure data sets are correct, complete and robust quality data, making these available to guide next steps of these subnational governments in accelerating local action.
- Closely work under the strategic guidance of the Director of the carbonn®Climate Center and the Head of the Climate Action Team, and in close cooperation with team members and global coordinators (thematic, research), as well as ICLEI´s Knowledge Management team.
- Support project planning, coordination and implementation, including work planning and financial planning /
- Conduct research and support the further development of global GHG protocols and accounting standards, with approaches to better understanding and using data. Further elaborate ICLEI’s next generation technical approach and data services offer, including vertical integration of systems to Measure, Report and Verify (MRV) local climate and energy action, impact and tracking of finance flows.
- Compile and contribute to publications such as case studies, newsletters, policy briefs, reports, peer-reviewed papers and blogs.
- Pro-actively support fundraising for ICLEI’s climate and energy portfolio rolled out through the Low Emission Development pathway.
- University degree (or equivalent) in Environmental Engineering, Urban Studies, Sustainable Development, International Relations, Public Administration, or related field. Relevant Master’s or Ph.D. degree is an asset.
- Minimum of four years’ work experience in a related field. Data review and analysis experience is highly desirable.
- Excellence in written and spoken English is a requirement, with proficiency in other languages an asset.
- Confident user of Microsoft Office. Familiarity with visualization software and graphical design is a plus.
- Technical GHG mitigation expertize and strong analytical skills required.
The successful candidate:
- Is passionate about data and supporting accelerated climate action.
- Is self-motivated, with a positive, pro-active attitude, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Is well organized, accurate, attentive to details, and takes ownership of tasks and quality delivery.
- Has a strong ability and willingness to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Is dedicated to the team’s focus on collaborative research, applied research, innovation, and sustainability knowledge generation.
- Shows excellence in communicating ICLEI’s message to public policy makers, research & innovation partners, private sector entities, and donors.
- Possesses knowledge in at least one area of digitalization (Blockchain technology, Artificial Intelligence, etc.), and interested in linking their knowledge to sustainable development.
- Is highly proficient in oral and written English; with strong writing skills.
Terms and conditions:
- The position is available from 1 September 2022 at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany
- The contract will have a limited duration of one year, with the possibility of extension.
- ICLEI offers an annual salary ranged between 36.477 Euro to 43.337 EUR before tax and social insurance fees. The final salary offer is determined based on the selected applicant’s skills and years of experience.
- Probation period is of three months.
- Workings hours: 40 per week.
- 30 days of paid leave per year.
- Working language: English.
- Due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain an appropriate work permit for Germany before the start of the position.
- International travel may be required.
- Communication with partners around the world may require work outside of normal office hours.
- The Officer reports to the Head of the Team and the Director of the carbonn®Climate Center.
- By email to careers.bonn at iclei.org. Please include “Officer, Climate Action and Data” in the subject line and send us:
- A letter of motivation
- Your recent CV (4 pages at most)
- Indication of a possible start date
- Indication of citizenship (if non-EU, do you hold a German work permit)
Equal Opportunity and Employment Policy
ICLEI World Secretariat’s hiring policy is geared to ensure that the organization hires employees regardless of ethnicity, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, gender, marital status, socio-economic background, and sexual orientation. ICLEI’s policy is that applicants for employment and career progression are considered solely based on their relevant qualifications and competencies.
Note that applications received after the deadline cannot be considered
To support the evaluation process, shortlisted candidates may be required to undergo a written test relevant to the job content.
Note that applications are reviewed as these are submitted, therefore submitting your application as soon as possible is advisable.
The ICLEI World Secretariat shall only contact those applicants shortlisted for this position.
Application Deadline: 27 July 2022
ICLEI e.V. World Secretariat
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Contract length: 12 months
Salary: 36,477.00€ – 43,337.00€ per year
Ability to commute/relocate:
- 53113 Bonn: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Application Deadline: 27/07/2022
Expected Start Date: 01/09/2022