Do you want to apply your legal expertise in a fast-growing startup, building the most compliant financial platform for crypto businesses in Europe? At Januar, we have experienced incredible growth o
Do you want to apply your legal expertise in a fast-growing startup, building the most compliant financial platform for crypto businesses in Europe?
At Januar, we have experienced incredible growth over the past 10 months, going from 6 to 20+ employees. This means that time has come to enhance our capabilities within corporate and employment law to ensure that we continue to support the organization with contracts, legal advice, and other deliverables in a timely manner.
What is Januar?
In short, our goal is to bridge bitcoin and banking. Currently, we enable access to bank accounts for cryptocurrency businesses, as the first step on our journey to build the gateway between crypto and fiat.
We base our business on trust and transparency, as well as solid expertise and experience in finance and crypto. We’re not all crypto experts, but we expect you to be curious and willing to both share your knowledge and learn from your colleagues.
As the Legal Manager in Januar, you will be working closely with our CFO and our Head of People & Culture to ensure that the more complex parts of HR and legal aspects are handled with both skill and finesse.
Being an early-stage fintech within the crypto space, it’s essential that we strike a balance between being a startup and being a regulated financial institution.
The role will be quite broad to begin with, but int time you can grow into a more specialised position and potentially a leadership role. For now, you should be ready to handle a variety of tasks, from facilitating general meetings to making registrations with authorities.
As an early legal hire at Januar, you will play an important role in developing our legal processes and our team, and use your experience and creativity to continuously improve the way we work.
Skills and expertise
We are open to shaping the role to your skills and preferences, but below is a selection of the areas in which we currently need assistance.
You ideally have a strong legal background and high ambitions within corporate or employment law.
It is a requirement that you live in Denmark and are familiar with Danish corporate and employment law.
- Assist our Head of People & Culture on “hard HR” tasks, e.g. draft contract amendments, oversee reimbursements from the municipality, provide advice on taxation, or support the relocation and onboarding of new employees from abroad.
- Manage the work on legal matters related to our fundraising, like supporting the CFO in negotiations with regards to R&W, shareholder agreements, our warrant program, as well as delivering on due diligence (and other) requests from our investors.
- Keep an overview of contractual obligations, reviewing and updating legal documents accordingly
- Respond to requests for legal support from business stakeholders
- Provide management and the board of directors with relevant data and documentation
- Handle potential disputes and drive cases on behalf of Januar with assistance from our external council.
- A broad set of legal knowledge is required, mainly in corporate law and employment law – you might be a specialist in one area and have basic knowledge in other areas
- A formal degree within law is not strictly necessary, but an advantage
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience working with corporate law either from an advisory role or, ideally, from an SME within fintech
- Being well versed in the operations of a financial/fintech company, from a legal perspective, is key.
Characteristics that will help you succeed in this role:
- You get energy from creating order from chaos – creating processes from scratch, creating documentation practices and structures, etc.
- You know the difference between minimum requirements and market-leading levels of diligence, and you have an opinion on when to go for which end of the scale
- You’re not afraid to ask for sparring and advice when in doubt
- You are able to, in a clear and well-argued manner, inform managers of issues requiring their attention
- You must be confident in owning highly complex tasks, yet have no problem also doing the most trivial tasks.
The latest start date will be February first, but we are open to taking the right person onboard as soon as possible.
As part of Januar, you will get:
- A wide variety of assignments; many of them end-to-end
- Room to develop and grow your role in the company
- A team of passionate and highly skilled colleagues who are happy to both teach and learn
- A professional and collaborative work culture with a high degree of flexibility and responsibility
- Social activities and events – you’re welcome to arrange some, too!
- Warrants as part of your compensation package.
A fair chance
We believe that everyone deserves a fair chance, and that diverse teams make better business. We welcome all people regardless of age, gender, experience and background – what counts is that you can make a difference in our business, together with the team. We are open to applications from all sections of society.
If you are excited about the role and can add new experience and perspectives to Januar, do send us a motivated application!
Our recruitment process
We review applications on an ongoing basis and invite all suitable candidates for a brief initial call with our Head of People & Culture, where you’ll learn more about Januar and how we work.
If there is still mutual interest, we will set up an interview with the hiring manager, so you can learn more about the specific job at hand. We might give you a small assignment that we can talk about in a second interview.
If there is a good match professionally as well, you will be invited to meet more colleagues from our team. If the chemistry still feels right for both parties, we will look forward to welcoming you to Januar!