Lead Backend Engineer (m/f/x) Zurich, Switzerland We can see that the art industry is ready to evolve. We believe in a future where technology underpins the physical art world, enabling a totall
Lead Backend Engineer (m/f/x)
We can see that the art industry is ready to evolve. We believe in a future where technology underpins the physical art world, enabling a totally new way of creating, curating and collecting art. We want the story and provenance of every piece of art to be stored immutably. For artists to be rewarded fairly for their work and automatically receive royalties for future sales. We can redefine art ownership, opening up more flexibility for enthusiasts, collectors, artists and galleries.
Backed by two of the most influential leaders in the global art world, BCG Digital Ventures is currently building the platform that will become the digital backbone of the physical art industry. Leveraging distributed ledger technology, the platform will enable artists, art institutions, and museums to use a suite of tools to trade art and keep artists connected to their artwork. All while increasing operational transparency and efficiency in what is currently a fragmented ecosystem. We will redefine art ownership and open up exciting new models of participation for private and institutional galleries, artists, and collectors.
Due to launch in 2022, we are now recruiting the future team that will take over the reins from BCGDV and grow this business over the coming years to transform a very traditional industry primed for significant disruption. To achieve these goals, we need a fantastic team to build upon the great work done during incubation and take the business forward.
The tech stack
The frontend is built in Vue.js, Nuxt.js, and Typescript and the backend is primarily built in Spring Boot and Kotlin. Frontend and backend communicate via a GraphQL API.
Our infrastructure is deployed on AWS, using Terraform to manage it. CI/CD pipelines are managed via Github Actions.
Our blockchain infrastructure is Ethereum based, with smart contracts written in Solidity.
What you’ll do
- You will lead the backend engineering team and be responsible for their workload and delivery
- Be actively involved in hiring and building the backend engineering team and provide the right guidance, be a mentor and foster a culture of transparency and communication
- You will partner with product managers, designers and other areas of the business to continuously evolve the Product roadmap
- Evolve the architecture according to business requirements, providing support to CTO on tech strategy and direction
- You will contribute to the codebase directly and/or through pairing or code review. More hands on work is expected initially while the team will still be smaller
- You will coordinate and manage vendors and integration partners
- Champion a focus on software qualities such as testability, security, scalability, operability
- Champion good agile practices that provide a foundation for iterative product development
- Keep up to date on the latest technology developments in the space with advancements in software development, blockchain, and Web 3.0
What you’ll need
- You have experience leading small engineering teams as a tech lead or people manager, delivering high-quality tech products
- You have a strong focus on engineering best practices such as continuous delivery, automated testing, pairing/code review and retrospectives
- You’ve worked in a startup/dynamic or otherwise high paced, agile environment
- You are curious, eager to learn and you seek feedback from your teammates
- You are adaptable to change and keen to work in a dynamic environment helping to shape an early-stage product
- Hands-on development and delivery experience with a broad mix of languages and technologies
- Experience with architectural design whilst leading and inspiring software development teams
- Strong people skills that contribute to an open and collaborative environment
- An interest or passion for the arts would be an asset
- An interest or passion for blockchain technology would be an even greater asset
To learn more, visit us at bcgdv.com
BCG Digital Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.