Junior Researcher on Immersive Video Streaming
i2CAT Foundation (Barcelona) is opening a PhD, or Junior Researcher, position to advance in the research field of immersive video streaming technologies . The candidate will join the Media & Intern
i2CAT Foundation (Barcelona) is opening a PhD, or Junior Researcher, position to advance in the research field of immersive video streaming technologies. The candidate will join the Media & Internet Area (MIA) of i2CAT, which is composed of over 10 experienced researchers and engineers in the fields of networked systems and media processing, and is involved in relevant R&I projects with the European and national ecosystems, in close collaboration with key players from academia and industry.
This area is seeking a PhD candidate, or Junior Researcher, to be involved in the design, development and validation of beyond state-of-the-art video streaming technologies and services, including: i) immersive media formats (e.g., 360º video, volumetric video like RGB+Depth and Point Clouds); ii) communication and distribution architectures to maximize scalability and interoperability (e.g., including cloud processing functions); and iii) advanced adaptive and low-latency streaming methods. These research outcomes will be centered on enabling next-generation interactive services, like multi-user holographic communications and videoconferencing
The results from the planned research and development activities are expected to lead to high-impact scientific publications, technology/knowledge transfer (e.g., open-source software, patents), and career development opportunities
Who we are:
The i2CAT Foundation is a non-profit research and innovation center that promotes mission-driven R&D activities on advanced Internet architectures, applications, and services. More than 15 years of international research define our expertise in the fields of 5G, IoT, VR, and Immersive Technologies, Cybersecurity, Blockchain, AI, and Digital Social Innovation. The center partners with companies, public administration, academia, and end-users to leverage this knowledge in order to meet real social and business challenges.
The greatest value of i2CAT is the talent of the people who make up our human team. We enjoy a team of people from more than 13 different nationalities and work every day to create and foster a work environment where we all feel comfortable creating, innovating and growing.
Want to know more? Visit our webpage! www.i2cat.net
What will you enjoy?
- Work from our offices or from home, whichever works best for you. We ask for two days in person at the office to coordinate with the rest of the team.
- This is a full-time vacancy
- We have a flexible work schedule respecting your work-life balance
- Reduced working hours on Fridays and in July and August
- Fix + variable salary
- Optional benefits: Travel pass, restaurant vouchers, nursery services support, medical insurance
- Annual leave of 27 working days
- We have fruit in the office to promote a healthy lifestyle
- If you are interested, you can participate in events of your sector.
- You will work with a laptop. You can choose your operative system, Mac, Linux or Windows.
- Company social and team-building events (virtual & in-person)
- You can develop your own and personal training programme with our support
- We will work so that you have a career plan to promote your growth and development
Where will you do it?
At i2CAT we already have an established ‘work-from-home’ policy for some time. You can work from home or from the office, whichever suits you best. We expect that you attend the office two days per week: one to stay connected with your team and another one to engage with other colleagues
If you decide to come to the office, we are located in Zona Universitària, next to the Campus Nord of the UPC, within a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment. It is a very well-connected area (metro, tram, bus) with bars and restaurants around.
Our offices are designed with an open-office concept where everything is light and transparency. We have a variety of workspaces so that you don’t have to be at the same table all day.
i2CAT is an organization committed to equal opportunities. That is why we seek to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented, and therefore explicitly encourage female candidates to apply.
I2CAT is an organization committed to creating an environment where we celebrate diversity, and where we provide the dedicated support that our employees need, regardless of their disability.
If what you have read sounds good to you… let’s have a coffee and we will tell you more!
In case you liked it, but it is not your job offer, you may know someone else who fits perfectly and whom you would like to recommend!
The European Commission granted i2CAT with the “HR Excellence in Research” Award in 2018. This award recognizes the Institute’s commitment to develop a Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R), aligning their practices and procedures with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
- The candidate must possess a BsC Degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications, Multimedia engineering, or similar.
- The candidate should possess a MsC Degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications, Multimedia engineering, or similar; or be coursing it otherwise.
- Video Streaming and Communication Architectures
- Streaming Protocols (HTTP adaptive streaming, like DASH and HLS, WebRTC…)
- Video Formats and Encoding
- Quality of Service
- English professional proficiency.
- Communication skills (writing and presenting).
- Ideally, some experience with media frameworks (e.g., ffmpeg, GStreamer) and media playback software (e.g., dash.js, Unity).
- Highly committed, excellent team-worker, and strong critical thinking.