Introduction IBM Research Scientists are charting the future of Artificial Intelligence, creating breakthroughs in quantum computing, discovering how blockchain will reshape the enterprise, and
IBM Research Scientists are charting the future of Artificial Intelligence, creating breakthroughs in quantum computing, discovering how blockchain will reshape the enterprise, and much more. Join a team that is dedicated to applying science to some of today’s most complex challenges, whether it’s discovering a new way for doctors to help patients, teaming with environmentalists to clean up our waterways or enabling retailers to personalize customer service.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Research UK, at Daresbury, are seeking high calibre candidates for a 1 year residency, with experience in applied research and development.
Our team is inventing, developing, and evaluating numerous first of a kind technologies in collaboration with our UK and global partners.
We offer a stimulating research environment comprising multi-disciplinary teams with diverse expertise working on challenging projects in a world-class research organization. We have access to cutting-edge experimental environments and strong ties with industrial, national, and academic research labs around the globe. You will want to be part of a team that is making a difference on how we can accelerate discovery using advanced technology.
We have 1 vacancy in Climate and Sustainability, 2 in Applied AI and 1 in Simulation.
Your role as a member of our global Research Labs will be to:
- Develop research plans as part of a team, aligned with our strategy, that have the potential for significant impact, advance new technologies or lead to the creation of innovative approaches that can disrupt and create markets.
- Collaborate effectively with our industrial, academic, and internal partners advancing our research and receiving feedback on initial prototypes.
- Create innovative solutions and evaluate them through the design and creation of initial prototypes.
- Communicate the outcome and impact of your research, both internally, and externally, through publications in top-tier scientific journals and conferences, and presentations in relevant forums.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
We are looking for research scientists and software engineers with a post-graduate qualification in Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Material Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or related topics.
Our requirements for you are;
- Strong software engineering skills
- Evidence of technical experience in the vacancy (e.g., climate and sustainability)
- Your ability to evaluate and showcase research outcomes through your work, particularly through development of protypes.
- Your ability to listen to others, establishing requirements and formulate problems derived from real-world use cases. Then to be able to carry out the necessary research, design, build and validation of successful solutions.
- Your academic record, ideally with publications in peer reviewed scientific journals and/or conferences.
- Your communication, listening and collaboration skills
- Excellent command of the English language, both verbally and in writing
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
As a preference you will also be able to show;
- A Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Material Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or related topics.
- Some experience working in multi-disciplinary collaborations.
About Business Unit
IBM Research at Daresbury is a small team of about 30 researchers who are working on a collaborative research programme with the UK Government and a number of industrial partners/collaborators/clients.
We are part of the global IBM research team of around 3,000 researcher based on 5 continents. The focus of our research is around the use of advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence, high performance computing and modelling & simulation to provide solutions to industrial research challenges from a wide range of industries including manufacturing, pharmaceutical and aerospace.
Your Life @ IBM
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It’s time to define your career.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
IBM wants you to bring your whole self to work and for you this might mean the ability to work flexibly. If you are interested in a flexible working pattern, please talk to our recruitment team to find out if this is possible in the current working environment.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.