The Company A leading Web3 accelerator and founder community investing and partnering with 200 of the best founders in Web3 every year. The Role The Head of Legal and Company Secret
A leading Web3 accelerator and founder community investing and partnering with 200 of the best founders in Web3 every year.
The Head of Legal and Company Secretary provides strategic legal advice of the highest possible standard for the Board, the CEO, and the Leadership Team. The Head of Legal provides strategic legal advice on all aspects including operational issues, covering governance, corporate and institutional legal matters. The Head of Legal ensures efficient and effective management of the Legal team.
S/he works closely with other senior executives to ensure effective communication and information flow that facilitates smooth and predictable decision-making and enables the business to deliver to its Mission. This is a demanding and complex task and will require an experienced leader. It will be important to develop strong partnerships with other members of the Leadership Team and the Business’ Partners.
- Advise the Board and CEO on the overall legal, commercial and regulatory strategy
- Lead the firm’s legal department
- Attend all board meetings and as Company Secretary is responsible for the efficient administration of a company, particularly with regard to ensuring compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and for ensuring that decisions of the board of directors are implemented.
- Provide the necessary legal input on all transaction and contractual negotiations, responsible for protecting the business’ interests in the documentation and ensuring that a proper due diligence exercise is undertaken
- Assist with structuring the firm’s various accelerator programmes, including structuring and launching new ecosystem partnership programmes
- Work directly with accelerator projects on an ad-hoc basis providing workshops, support and guidance on legal, regulatory and structuring issues
- Promote a culture of effective management of governance and that preparatory papers, minutes, action lists and the like are in good order
- Ensure effective processes and systems for the execution of contracts and other legal documents by authorized signatories and that complete and accurate copies of contract documentation are kept and are accessible
- Develop and manage relationships with external law firms and ensure that any external legal resource is appropriate for the advice sought and cost effective
- Horizon-scan to define the regulatory landscape in which the business operates;
- Establish effective and best practice governance processes for the Boards and their Committees (e.g. putting in place appropriate terms of reference)
- Overseeing the contract management process for the firm’s various accelerator programmes
- Monitoring relevant legal and regulatory changes, and providing thought leadership both internally and externally
- Protect and enhance the business’ endeavors, objectives and reputation by providing timely and appropriate legal and governance services
- Ensuring relevant legal and regulatory developments are reflected in the firm’s practices and processes
- Develop a corporate legal strategy that promotes and protects organizational interests
- Reports to: COO, Head up the firm’s legal department (of 5 lawyers currently)
- 7+PQE solicitor or barrister (ideally UK qualified but other jurisdictions also considered);
- Can be based anywhere in the world and work fully remotely
- Well-rounded experience across corporate law, venture practice and legal/regulatory issues around cryptocurrency, gained either in private practice or in an in-house role
- Provides authoritative, risk-based advice yet understands the commercial needs of the complex evolution of this space
- Previous experience of leading negotiations and managing complex, high value transactions
- Previous experience of advising on equity and token fundraising
- Sound commercial judgment and an entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to communicate risk vs reward in a fast moving environment
- A working knowledge of or strong interest in developing an expertise in blockchains and decentralized technology
- Have demonstrated a diverse set of areas of expertise and being able to apply your existing knowledge to new questions
- Have the ability to manage multiple stakeholders (i.e. suppliers, partners and clients), prioritizing requirements to ensure the best outcome for both the partner and the business
- The ability to build rapport and establish strong working relationships
- Proven to have a high level of planning and attention to detail
- Package is subject to relevant experience
- It will bias towards performance related bonuses, including the opportunity to invest directly into token projects on the same terms as the business’ partnership
To discuss this role further, please reach out to Pippa Campbell on or 020 7092 0133.
Morgan McKinley is acting as an Employment Agency and references to pay rates are indicative.
BY APPLYING FOR THIS ROLE YOU ARE AGREEING TO OUR TERMS OF SERVICE WHICH TOGETHER WITH OUR PRIVACY STATEMENT GOVERN YOUR USE OF MORGAN MCKINLEY SERVICES.