SkillZ At SkillZ, we believe anyone can be part of the value being created by the decentralisation of internet. We are building the simplest staking experience to share the returns from crypto with e
At SkillZ, we believe anyone can be part of the value being created by the decentralisation of internet. We are building the simplest staking experience to share the returns from crypto with everyone.
- We enable anyone to stake as easily as investing money in Robinhood
- We enable any company to integrate staking into their business
Our customers save months of work and research, and can focus on what they do best: building their own product and running their operations.
Why join SkillZ now?
As a Head of Sales and Business Development you will join as a core member of a seasoned 10-person product-centric team.
We built products at Google, Blablacar, Circle and Scaleway. We raised $5M from leading investors including Third Kind Capital, BlueYard Capital, SV Angel, Kima Ventures and Kindi Capital. Some have been the first investors in companies such as Pinterest, Stripe and Notion.
SkillZ is building the Stripe of staking. We are here to do the best work of our lives and we hope you are too.
We’re looking for someone to be a Head of Sales and Business Development at SkillZ. In this role, you’ll be responsible for:
Structuring and running a deal process: You will be working hand-in-hand with the CEO and COO to create partnerships with crypto-native players (exchanges, custodians, wallets, protocols) and traditional financial institutions and corporations. You make deals in a structured manner, driving internal and external parties through all phases of a deal from ideation to closing and implementation, whatever it takes and never letting the ball drop while taking a pragmatic approach, re-evaluating conditions when necessary. You think like an owner and highly value SkillZ’s resources, therefore you are not letting value leak for the sake of closing a deal.
Leading our go-to-market strategy to generate leads: You have a knack for creating, maintaining and leveraging relationships. You understand the importance of building a lead-generation machine and will support your business development efforts by leading various initiatives positioning SkillZ as an industry leader, including representation at industry conferences and driving a content strategy.
Improving our offering: You will understand what the complementary products for our products are and will build key strategic partnerships with companies that can enable SkillZ to meet the needs of our customers and prospects better. You will ensure that the perceived value of our products is maximised, including through product marketing initiatives you will be leading, and ensure we capture a sufficient share of this value by getting pricing right.
Getting the legal details right: You ensure that the terms of a deal are beneficial for SkillZ and that contracts reflect this. You are detail-oriented: you read and understand every word of every contract, including legal minutiae, to catch any surprising detail. You will leverage this understanding to work both independently from and hand-in-hand with our external lawyers. You understand that regulation is a competitive advantage in this environment, leverage this to close deals and ensure that deals close meet regulatory standards.
Improving the product: Your understand both what partners really want and trends in the market, and make sure the company operates at the required level for your deals to close, by standing for our customers and prospects internally and articulating clearly their needs and constraints to enable our teams to meet expected standards. You’ll be working closely with the Product and Infrastructure teams to plan, architect, and implement our core product. You’ll have a prominent voice in the construction of the roadmap, with the rest of the team, and turn off the selling mode when working with the internal teams.
Building our culture: While you stand for our customers, you are a team player at heart and always put the company first.
Growing the Team: Everyone on the early team plays an important role in attracting, closing, and growing other talented team members. The biggest factor in our ability to build amazing products is the team, so we look to you to help set the example for the kind of team we all want to build together.
Sounds like you?
- Experience closing multiple complex deals with creative or aggressive terms, without leaking value for the company.
- Strong judgment with the ability to run deal processes in a structured manner, with tenacity and a bias towards following through.
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to increase the communication level of the whole team through preparation meetings when meeting key stakeholders.
- Outstanding attention to details.
- Comfortable working with the whole team, including the Product and Engineering teams, to identify customer pain points, inform solutions to solve them, and sell them in a manner that enables SkillZ to create and harvest value.
- Excels at operating autonomously while acting in the best interest of the company.
- Previous experience in the cryptocurrency industry is required. Experience in Investment Banking, Consulting, Legal or Product is a plus.
- Ability to do financial modelling that informs company priorities and pricing is a plus.
What’s it like to work at SkillZ?
We’ve implemented a remote-first culture and organisation, so you can work from anywhere in Europe. We maintain core working hours of 9:30AM to 3PM UTC, when we’re all online and available at the same time, then you manage your day however you want. We strive to be clear in our written communication.
We’re early, so you’ll have an opportunity to shape not just our product, but the company itself: who we work with, and how we work together.
Below are the values we share as a team, so if you like these, you’ll enjoy working here. (And if you don’t like them, please tell us what we’re missing in our thinking!)
- We value high standards over quick wins. We want people to do their best work to build the decentralized future and be proud of it. We want to be impressed with the people we hire and have them show us how it’s done. Reality has a surprising amount of details, and we rigorously care about these; good enough isn’t good enough.
- We value reliable speed with a bias towards action over cost-savings. A culture of iterative shipping a reliable and secure product puts priorities into sharp focus and helps us efficiently use our constrained resources by limiting breakage and fixing. More importantly, we can act as a trusted partner for our clients who rely on us to support protocols and projects they believe in. We make sure we don’t break what’s critical and that we ship battle-tested features. We’ve only one shot at making a first impression, and it’d better be excellent.
- We value autonomy-enabling trust over micro-management. We share all aspects of our business with our team to empower them to make the right calls in their day-to-day and trust them to keep information within the circle. We want to know about problems (and wins) as fast as possible and solve them with a focus on raising our standards while avoiding personal blame. We believe that trust and transparency enable us to ship reliable products, building our reputation with our clients and partners.
- We value customer-centricity over industry recognition. Empathy with customers is a much better driver of our roadmap than competitors’ features. We take a step back, put ourselves in the shoes of people we are serving, and think about making their lives better. We choose where we stand, find a difference, take a shot at solving their problem with a solution of our choosing and iterate until we succeed. Then, we do it again. We are in the business of making our customers happier (a never-ending task), not in the business of matching competitive offerings or making commentators happy. We strive to be empathetic internally as well, with a focus on people development with regular feedback.
- We value the optimistic learn-it-all over the know-it-all. The pace of technological improvement has never been faster while the general public has never been less excited about innovation and discovery. Ultimately we do what we do because Web 3.0 is the most creative space in the tech world and for the coming years. We also believe the world is incomplete and would be better with the possibilities offered by decentralized technologies. We want to share this journey with people who can take a step back and share our optimism and belief that technology is making the world better and bringing the future closer to us. We believe that like-minded people have a growth mindset and aim at learning anything and everything, continually developing and growing for the better, as part of a team of “The learn-it-all does better than the know-it-all”.
- We care about our team. We know each other, what we like, what we hate and how we feel when facing hard situations. We respect each person’s individuality and welcome people as they are.
- We share value with the communities we are part of. Yes, this means open-source. We build on open-source protocols, we see things that could do with a little tidying up or some larger improvements, we’re not going to keep it for ourselves right? If we can remove roadblocks for other people, we are happy to share. Expect your work to be mostly closed-work and to be in a position to give back regularly.
What we offer
- Competitive salary and equity
- Work remotely in Europe or in our central Paris office
- Over 5 weeks of paid vacation, not including bank holidays
- MacBook Pro or equivalent, monitor and accessories
- Latest productivity software like Superhuman, Notion and Linear
- Alan, the best French healthcare package (for employees located in France) for you and your partner on top of the best healthcare system in the world
- Quarterly trips abroad with the whole team for fun stuff
How do I apply?
If you’re interested in this role, please apply with your CV or LinkedIn.
Looking forward to building together.