1 company! - That is the journey Novartis is on in its quest to extend and improve people’s lives through reimagining medicine. We have a clear strategy: to be a focused medicines company powered by s
The purpose of the role is to lead the Global Legal Brand Protection Center of Excellence (CoE) in the Pharma IP team and ensure close collaboration of trademark experts integrated within the Pharma IP group.
The Head of the CoE makes sure team functionally and/or operationally managed by him/her performs as a highly integrated and valued strategic partner to the business, develops and sustains talent and embodies the Pharma IP vision to serve as strategic “IP Architects” to maximize the value of Novartis products to patients and stakeholders. He/She will support development of policies and practices cross-divisionally and support litigation management, including parallel trade and diverted goods defense and unfair competitive practices globally.
- Full management of the area, including people, process, budget, databases, outside vendors, use of new technologies (e.g. blockchain) etc. in close collaboration with Global Pharma IP Franchise Heads, Name Creation and Regulatory Strategy team and Group IP LBP and all other relevant internal and external functions;
- Responsible for creation and maintenance of these IP rights globally;
- Responsible for overseeing all BD&L deals involving trademarks (TMs), designs, copyrights and domain names;
- Build and lead high performing team – reporting to the head functionally and/or operationally;
- Manage assigned TM portfolio.
- Preparation for litigation (primers, litigation strategies);
- Oversight of litigation coordination in collaboration with local Legal teams;
- Selection/control of relationship with external counsels including monitoring of their quality and performance in collaboration with local Legal;
- Ensure global-local-outside counsel coordination;
- Oversee litigation budget (forecast, control) via Legal Brand Protection Litigators;
- Ensure strong working relationship on litigation matters with counterparts in local Legal, Pharma patents, Pharma Country IP Support, Pharma BrandMax, Group IP, Group Competition/Antitrust, and the other divisions to address litigation related issues early and facilitate solutions on a timely basis;
- Direct/hands on involvement in important litigation issues;
- Build high-performing TM litigation team;
- Coordination with Head Global IP Litigation Strategy (Pharma and Group).
- Support Parallel Trade EU notification process and litigation in collaboration with Group IP and Group Security, pro-active approach to ensure patients are protected from substandard products
- Representation of Novartis Pharma in Group Legal Brand Protection policy and practice issues
- Actively participate in/provide leadership for the cross-divisional Legal Brand Protection leadership team and related projects
- Take an active role in the leadership, mission and performance of the Global Pharma IP leadership team.
- Connect with other Centers of Excellence within Pharma IP to create synergies
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
- Law school graduate & Bar member or equivalent
- Written and spoken English essential, additional languages a plus
- 10+ years of substantive legal experience in trademark, design, copyright, unfair competition law (including US and EU) and domain names;
- 3 – 5+ years of substantive leadership experience in management of complex TM/IP tasks/teams in the Pharma/Healthcare environment; transnational management experience preferred.
Why consider Novartis?
The answers come when curious, courageous and collaborative people are empowered to ask new questions, make bold decisions and take smart risks.
Join us, and help reimagine access to medicine