Introduction At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The IBM Law Department is currently seeking a General Lawyer qualified in Belgium to join the team in Dublin. We are looking for a candidate with strong commercial experience gained from a reputable private practice or in-house environment, preferably with a focus on technology, along with a solid interest in business negotiations. In such role, you will support the Benelux region business teams in sales negotiations, tenders, including public tenders and related legal matters, in coordination with local and international teams. Key responsibilities include:
- You will be providing legal support on a broad range of matters relating to our Belgian and Dutch clients across all lines of business
- You will provide legal assistance by supporting our business teams in drafting, reviewing and negotiating complex commercial contracts
- Furthermore, you will provide legal support on a wider area of matters such as compliance, corporate, privacy and competition, working with other specialists in the Legal team
- The role will involve executive engagement, as well as working collaboratively with other members of the Benelux Legal team and other Legal team members in and across other jurisdictions.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Qualified Belgian lawyer with at least 3-5 years PQE in a reputable commercial law firm or in-house in an international environment.
- Very good knowledge of commercial contract law, good notion of Intellectual Property law and antitrust law.
- Solid experience in drafting, negotiating and vetting commercial contracts that address complex/difficult issues.
- Applicants must be fluent/native speakers in French and Dutch as well as have business and legal inetercation level English (spoken and written).
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast paced, rapidly evolving and demanding industry and work environment.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional environment, process and communicate legal concepts and positions articulately and persuasively at all levels in simple, commercial and practical terms.
- You are able to work autonomously but also enjoy working in a collaborative team-based environment and build trustworthy relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Self-starter, highly motivated, strong work ethics.
- Pro-active and customer oriented, business acumen, Flexible and agile being able to multi-task and prioritise competing requirements
- Open to innovation and keen to bring forward ideas to continuously improve and enhance the way we work and deliver; eager to continually learn and develop professionally
- Must demonstrate strong commitment for integrity and promote values and mission of the company and of the legal and compliance department.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Belgian University degree (Master) in Economic Law – Experience at the Belgian Bar is an advantage.
- Exposure to IT Law or international commercial contracts is an advantage.
- Knowledge of any additional language is an advantage.
About Business UnitThe successful candidate will join an international team located in Dublin in charge of providing legal support to IBM business teams across Europe and assisting on a range of Trust and Compliance matters, as well as Data Privacy matters, across geographies. The selected Belgian lawyer will primarily assist IBM in the Benelux and will have the opportunity to interact with other jurisdictions when required or, as part of a multi jurisdiction role.
Your Life @ IBMWhat matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
About IBMIBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business. At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
Location StatementIBM wants you to bring your whole self to work and for you this might mean the ability to work flexibly. If you are interested in a flexible working pattern, please talk to our recruitment team to find out if this is possible in the current working environment.
Being You @ IBMIBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.