Distributed Systems Engineer (Vac Team) We are the Vac team, and we are building a communications tool with security, censorship resistance and privacy in mind. See Vac, Waku v2 and Ethereum Messagin
- Write and maintain Nim code.
- Research and design core functionality.
- Provide feedback on overall design decisions and participate in code reviews.
- Implement libp2p protocols according to existing specifications.
- Support the production implementation with security issues, bug fixes and similar.
- Ship high-quality software (including testing, benchmarks, monitoring).
- Working together with libp2p team to help with network specific needs, such as Websockets, QUIC, and similar.
- Interpret and implement solutions based on academic research.
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- Experience in, and passion for, blockchain technology, decentralization, open source and privacy; alignment with our principles: https://status.im/about/#our-principles
- Experience with low level/strongly typed languages (C/C++/Go/Rust or Java/C#), including FFI.
- Experience building networking heavy applications and p2p networking specifically.
- Strong understanding of encryption and key exchange mechanisms, as well as p2p building blocks such as gossiping, routing and discovery (DHTs), Nat traversal.
- A passion for writing robust, clean and maintainable code.
Bonus points if you have:
- Contributed to a blockchain-related, open source project.
- Experience with Nim.
- Experience with libp2p / devp2p, networking, cryptography.
Perks & benefits!
- Work with some of the most passionate & dedicated minds in the Ethereum space.
- We ask that you’re willing to be paid in a combination of fiat and cryptocurrency.
- We’ll reward you with a competitive base salary.
- We’ll also reward you with SNT (Status Network Tokens) to give you a real stake in the success of the organisation.
- A generous budget (€2000 Euros) to choose whatever laptop you prefer.
- We provide a small allowance (up to €250 Euros per month) for a co-working space.
- Work from wherever you choose. Our contributors are a varied bunch – some work from home, some from a coworking space, some from a local cafe, others are nomads.
- We operate an open vacation policy, meaning there are no hard limits or strict rules around how much holiday you take and how you schedule it.
- We want our contributors to be healthy and take the time they need to relax and enjoy quality disconnected time away from work.
- We offer all contributors a Headspace subscription.
- Each team has a travel budget to attend conferences & team meetups of their choice.
- Once per year the whole organisation gets together to connect (so far we’ve visited Bangkok and Prague).
We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization’s priorities.