Detective Sergeant – Cryptocurrency Unit
We are seeking a dynamic and motivated Detective Sergeant, or a Detective Constable suitably qualified to apply for promotion, to lead this new dynamic team, which will be continuing to develop the re
We are seeking a dynamic and motivated Detective Sergeant, or a Detective Constable suitably qualified to apply for promotion, to lead this new dynamic team, which will be continuing to develop the response to cryptocurrency for SEROCU and Thames Valley Police. The primary aim of the team is to deny criminals their assets.
You will supervise and be responsible for all cryptocurrency seizures ensuring that they are securely stored. You will oversee your team providing assisting in the cryptocurrency investigations offering guidance and providing specialist skills to trace the movement of cryptocurrency. You will be proactive in developing cryptocurrency intelligence identifying suspects building operations to target those who think by using cryptocurrency they are out of reach of the Police.
Applicants must have completed the CID Foundation course or successfully complete the ICIDP. A keen interest in digital investigation would be a benefit. It is not essential but desirable that a prior knowledge of financial or cryptocurrency is necessary. On being successful the individual will need to complete a number of technical training courses and will need a positive mind set to continually develop their knowledge in cryptocurrency.
Please note that this role is part of a national, regional and local network and as a result you may be required to travel for business purposes mainly across the south east region and occasionally throughout the UK. Therefore, the successful candidate will require a full UK driving licence.
Due to the nature of our work, security is of paramount importance to us and therefore it will be necessary to pass and maintain vetting level SC. In order to achieve this, you must have resided in the UK for the past five years. Exemptions apply for overseas or other diplomatic service (with HM Government), and studying abroad.
- Manage the casework of a team of specialist officers and staff, keeping unit head appraised of case progress and capacity of the team to take on new cases, providing leadership, oversight and guidance.
- Plan, conduct and co-ordinate investigations in relation to cryptocurrency. To include proactive cryptocurrency investigations that have been tasked or identified through intelligence. To include reactive cryptocurrency investigations that have been tasked following intervention by other SEROCU or TVP capabilities.
- Devise, maintain and lead on all cryptocurrency seizures for the South East Regional Organised Crime Unit and Thames Valley Police. This includes writing the process for seizure and guidance for officers and staff to seek support from this unit.
- Devise and maintain the process for the safe storage of seized cryptocurrency working in conjunction with the NPCC Best Practice provider for storage.
- Lead the personal development, training and mentoring of the officers and staff within the unit. This will involve ensuring attendance at training courses not just focused on cryptocurrency but also other financial training courses to ensure compliance with the most current legislation.
- Prepare for and attend at any court hearing or enquiry to give evidence as required utilising knowledge of relevant legislation to assist the prosecution case. Draft documents and prepare applications for presentation in court.
- Analyse evidence and prepare recommendations to management, CPS Lawyers; attending conferences with Counsel as necessary thereby assisting the prosecution case.
- Provide Tactical Advice regarding cryptocurrency to SIOs within SEROCU, the South East regional forces or more broadly.
- Plan and supervise the lawful recovery of criminally obtained cryptocurrency in line with current POCA legislation and future amendments.
- Has successfully passed the Sergeants NPCC Exam.
- Has completed a CID foundation course or successfully completed the ICIDP.
- Proven investigative policing background and be able to demonstrate building evidential cases to a high standard.
- Able to demonstrate sound knowledge of CPIA, disclosure and practical application in the criminal justice system.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Ability to demonstrate creativity and ability to operate under pressure.
- Has a practical understanding and can demonstrate has an awareness of cryptocurrency investigation and seizure.
- Understanding or knowledge of POCA Legislation.
- Understanding or knowledge of the Financial Investigation Model (FIM).
- Commitment to the maintenance of CPD and innovation in relation to cryptocurrency.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company pension
- Free parking
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
Work Location: In person
Reference ID: 20100