Desktop Design System Lead One of our goals is to transform our current chat functionality into a group chat competitor to Discord and Slack, but with the difference of being 100% decentralized, stro
As a Desktop Product Design Lead you’ll be tasked with making Status Desktop as delightful a communication tool as it is private, secure and censorship-resistant. You spend your time on the finer things in life: smooth animations, elegant hover states, and perfect pixel ratios. You advise fellow designers on components they can use, and collect their requirements to work new components, states and variations—alongside UI engineers. You design in the open and develop documentation and presentation that your components deserve, so others can too.
This role fits you well if you’re a craftsperson who likes to talk and write design, has a love for design systems and is looking for an impactful and valued Senior IC role.
What we ask from you
- Own the end-to-end interaction experience of Status Desktop
- Deliver high quality visual design
- Build and maintain an industry leading Design System
- Work with quality engineers to ensure the implementation of components matches the component designs
- Work with UI engineers to optimise design-developer collaboration
- Work with vertical design leads and other peers to design usable and delightful interactions for existing and new features
- Collaborate with UX research to improve usability
- Work closely with your counterpart on Mobile
- Have a strong eye for detail and design each pixel with love and attention for the bigger picture
- Be proactive and flexible; Weigh in to shape the team and your role
What you bring
- 7+ years of experience in designing production-ready digital products
- Excellent visual design skills – background in graphic or visual design
- Experience with building and maintaining design systems
- Experience in leading and advocating for design practices
- A strong interest in Web3 / Blockchain / Decentralised technologies
- Fluent in English
- Living in, or comfortable working in, UTC ± 7h
Bonus points if you have
- Experience with GitHub, or a similar software versioning tool
- Experience with creating and maintaining design systems in Figma
- Experience with design for Web3 products
- Enthusiasm for Open-source and designing in public
- Experience with group chat/community interfaces
- Portfolio that demonstrates native desktop design experience, or experience designing complex mobile or web applications
Something about us
- We are Remote and Decentralized.
- We are 70+ employees spread across 30+ different countries
- We are driven by shared principles and believe in complete transparency. That’s why everything we do is completely public to the entire community. You can view our development, Town Halls, and conversations.
Want to know more? You can follow along on Our Status.
We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization’s priorities.
This role’s hiring manager: