Reporting to the Chief Engineering Officer, R3 Engineering provides technical product development for our blockchain platform, Corda, and all its associated…...
R3 is a financial innovation firm that leads a consortium partnership with over 100 of the world’s leading financial institutions. We work together to design and deliver advanced distributed ledger technologies to the global financial markets.
R3 has employees based in over 11 (and counting!) countries across the globe, with our headquarters in London, alongside office locations in New York City and Singapore. Our vibrant and centrally located offices are filled with collaborative spaces, healthy (and some not so healthy!) snacks and state of the art workspaces and equipment.
This role exists withing R3 Engineering. Reporting to the Chief Engineering Officer, R3 Engineering provides technical product development for our blockchain platform, Corda, and all its associated services.
Depth of Expertise: Typically, 5+ years of notable commercial experience, in two or more areas
Innovation & Improvement: Able to contribute in feature design and provide validation of changes proposed in review sessions
Take on write-up of design features with frequent architectural reviews with reviewers outside of own team
Level of Interaction: Communicate effectively with engineers and product managers
Ownership & Responsibility: May be responsible for small project or workstream
Coaching & Talent Management: Buddying and technical interviewing. May lead/mentor interns or more junior engineers
Impact: Able to capture bug fixes and rationale for decisions in log
Decision Making: Reasonable autonomy on bug fixing that is captured in decision logs
- Advance persistence solutions that support the improvements of future releases
- Contribute to the adaptation of improved processing and storage technologies
- Work as a member of a team within the larger engineering group to deliver high quality and well tested code
- Collaborate with other groups or squads
- Realization and delivery of technical designs to meet release deadlines
- Code review peer and open-source contributions to the codebase
- Liaise with the R3 Support team to troubleshoot and address customer issues
- Responsibility for small project or workstream
- Help track progress of shared assignments using their intermediate understanding of their domain to execute their work
- Have an intermediate or growing understanding of the business and their needs.
- Work with product managers to deliver larger features without guidance supervision
- Take a feature from design to delivery with guidance and input from more senior engineers
Education and Experience:
- Strong understanding of computer science and engineering principles, obtained through a combination of advanced academic study and significant professional experience
- Typically, 5+ years’ experience in an enterprise level environment
- Familiarity of data modeling and database theory
- Experience with Java persistence and database technologies, Hibernate
- Even better if you have: experience with journaling, publish-subscribe messaging systems (for example Kafka), NoSQL databases, CockroachDB, RocksDB
- Familiarity of multiple layers of the infrastructure and application stack from systems / OS development through to networking, middleware and application logic
- Proven problem-solving skills and ability to work under pressure
At R3, we encourage a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you don’t meet all of the above criteria, but you think you’d be a great addition to R3, send us your CV. We’re always interested in meeting collaborative people who are excited to work with us.
Our values are our DNA. They define what we stand for and guide how we work together internally and with our customers, partners, and shareholders.
The success of our customers is paramount. We build strong relationships and strive to create the best possible experience for them.
We bring together all parts of the ecosystem and give our customers the tools and environment to work together to change their industries.
We have the agility of a small company but the confidence and ambition of the industry-defining titan we aspire to become.
We demand excellence and take pride in our products and services.
How We’re Handling Covid-19
We are extremely grateful to continue to grow as a company during these unprecedented times. Our #1 priority is the health, safety, and wellbeing of our current and future R3’ers. We want to share with you what we’re doing and what you can expect throughout our interview and on-boarding processes.
Since March, most R3’ers have been working remotely, although we have opened some key office locations global, with limited capacity for those that cannot work from home or need to come into the office.
As you go through the virtual interview process with us, please don’t worry if children or pets make a guest appearance. We understand these things happen- it’s real life after all! If we are fortunate enough to welcome you to the team, we’ll get a laptop couriered to you and get you set up virtually on your first day. We also provide you with a “Work From Home” allowance to enable you to purchase some equipment to be more comfortable and productive.
We Have And Will Continue To Take Steps To Ease Some Of The Burden For Our R3’ers
We understand that Work From Home (WFH) life can be challenging in many ways, so some of the additional support measures we have in place include;
New Starter WFH allowance (as mentioned above) to get you setup to work productively at home
Additional access to wellbeing resources (as well as the support provided as part of your Vitality Private Medical) including a year’s free subscription to the Headspace app and modules on our Lessonly training platform from MindGym (including Goal getting, Stress Busters and Virtual Work)
We also have additional health and wellbeing resources available on our wiki pages when you join.
R3 may process the personal data collected or identified as being imported in accordance with R3’s Recruitment Privacy. Read the policy here. In particular, R3 will use the personal data provided for the purposes of processing your application for the role you have applied for, to assess your suitability for the role as well as to enter into a contract with you if you are successfully brought onto the R3 team.