Supporting DPIAs and new technologies such as AI, IoT, blockchain, etc…. Its Intelligent Delivery approach (AG ID), is a fusion of smart people, flexible…...
Addleshaw Goddard (AG) is a premium international business law firm offering an exceptional breadth of client shaped services. Our approach combines a deep understanding of our clients’ businesses, markets and sectors with high calibre expertise, straight talking advice and a collaborative team culture. AG has 14 offices located in the UK (Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, London and Manchester), in Europe (Hamburg and Paris), in the Middle East (Doha, Dubai and Muscat) and in Asia (Hong Kong, Singapore and an alliance with a Tokyo law firm).
What we do
AG advises national and blue-ship global companies across corporate, commercial, finance and project, real estate and litigation business divisions with specialist fields such as private capital; energy, financial services, health and life sciences, real estate, retail and consumer, construction and transport sectors; and considers digital & technology as a subsector to all its specialist fields.
The firm has a track record of innovation in the design and delivery of legal services. Its Intelligent Delivery approach (AG ID), is a fusion of smart people, flexible resourcing, savvy technology, innovative processes and strategic consulting, providing a platform for new thinking, beyond pure legal advice.
We are looking for a senior Data Protection lawyer to join our award-winning group in London. The ideal candidate will:
- be 4 PQE (or above);
- be an excellent data/technical lawyer and have a pragmatic and commercial approach to advising on and resolving issues;
- have extensive experience in data protection law, including GDPR and PECR, across various sectors, and used to work on international projects;
- have experience of supervising junior lawyers, managing data protection projects and being the point of contact with clients;
- be a team player, motivated and keen to progress to more senior roles within AG; and
- be ambitious and want to help grow the practice and take an active role in core initiatives in the firm.
You will have:
- Excellent academic achievement with a minimum 2:1 degree.
- Experience gained within a comparable environment and at an appropriate level.
- Desire and ability to develop strong working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Clear understanding and working experience of the operation and structure of a large international commercial law firm and the needs of the client.
The Data and Information Law Team and the Commercial Group
Our data protection team is an international group, part of each AG office in the UK and internationally within our Commercial practice.
The Data team comprises two key sub-groups: the Data Protection Team and the Reputation and Information Protection Team.
The candidate we are seeking would sit within the Data Protection Team which forms part of the wider Commercial group (which includes IP, Technology & Outsourcing, Competition and Data Protection). It is an exceptionally successful non-contentious group with market leading teams across the group. We are ranked Tier 1 for Data Protection in Legal 500. The group is also ranked Tier 1 in Legal 500 for Commercial Contracts, for the TMT and for the Retail&Consumer sectors.
The group was also recently named TMT Team of the year for 2020 in the British Legal Awards.
The Data Protection team enjoys a real mix of work including:
- Global GDPR compliance audits and remediation programmes;
- analysis and advice on technology projects and marketing innovations, including lawful basis, transparency, PECR compliance and accountability documentation;
- drafting and negotiating vendor DPAs and controller/controller data sharing agreements, including data transfer issues;
- dealing with GDPR/PECR compliance in the context of corporate acquisitions; and
- managing outsourced DSARs.
- dealing with data breach incident response, reporting and subsequent claims of regulatory investigations.
- advising on international data transfers including transfer impact assessments and BCRs.
- supporting DPIAs and new technologies such as AI, IoT, blockchain, etc…
- advising on cybersecurity matters.
The Data Protection team’s clients
We work with some of the best known brands in the country.
Across sectors, our diverse and exciting FTSE 250 and global clients include:
- major banks, payment and fintech companies
- major global tech and digital companies;
- major retailers, consumer brands and telecoms organisations;
- major healthcare and life sciences companies
- major energy and electric vehicles clients ; and
- smaller companies and start-ups across all sectors.
The team regularly advises such clients in the firm’s key sectors which includes retail and consumer, healthcare, financial services, transport and energy sectors – We also have a thriving digital and sports practice.
The Data Protection team is core to all sectors and the broader Commercial group sits at the heart of the firm’s chosen areas of focus. The group is therefore at the core of AG’s strategy.
We are seeking to grow our busy 3 partner led Data Protection team in the UK as part of our focus on data and technology, as this is a strategic priority for the firm. As such, this is an exciting time to join the team and the firm to build on increasing market recognition of our data protection and cybersecurity practice.
We are therefore looking for people who can help us to proactively drive the business forward. There is plenty of room for growth at all levels and the successful applicant can be reassured that the firm will be an enthusiastic supporter of their development and keen to help them progress through their career.
AG is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of a person’s gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic. We are committed to having a diverse team and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and communities, particularly those from underrepresented demographics. We want our recruitment practices to be as inclusive as possible, so please let us know if you need us to make any reasonable adjustments during the application or interview process to help you perform to your best. We actively encourage flexible working.
MEET THE RECRUITER
Email Liam Ogden: Liam.Ogden@addleshawgoddard.com
Speak with Liam Ogden: +44 161 934 6818
WEALTH & PROTECTION
HEALTH & WELLBEING