New technologies, such as supporting blockchain ventures; The role will involve collaboration with our Marketing & Origination and Structured Trade Finance…...
Job Profile Summary
bp Trading & Shipping (T&S) is bp’s energy trading division, responsible for the physical and financial trading of oil, refined products, biofuels, gas, power, LNG and low carbon fuels. We are a friendly, creative and dynamic organisation, and bp’s face to the traded energy markets!
The individual will be part of a diverse and collegiate team, with the expectation that over time that the individual will gain rounded experience advising across a number of the team’s areas of accountability, including:
- Lower carbon activities, particularly biofuels, circular economy and emission reduction projects. In particular, this often includes setting up joint ventures or acquisitions of existing businesses, as well as assessing new business opportunities;
- Financing transactions (for example, prepayments, pre-export finance, reserve-based lending, acquisition finance, project finance and trade finance);
- Day-to-day support for the operational aspects of physical commodity trading, including shipping, quantity and quality claims, demurrage, non-performance and other contractual issues;
- Term deals for supply and purchase contracts of oil, refined products and biofuels;
- New technologies, such as supporting blockchain ventures;
- Storage arrangements and new country access; and
- Anti-bribery and corruption, trade sanctions and competition law issues.
While it will be an advantage to have demonstrable experience in some of these areas, it is not expected that candidates have equal expertise across all these topics when applying, and we are interested in what each individual can contribute.
The individual will primarily support the individual commodity trading businesses, as well as centralised teams such as Marketing & Origination and Structured Trade Finance.
Further accountability will include providing broad commercial legal advice as necessary, working closely with traders and support functions including Credit, Tax, Treasury, Compliance and the Contracts team.
- Experience advising in relevant areas, such as financing transactions and/or mergers and acquisitions and/or commodity trading in private practice or in-house at a bank, trading house or energy company.
- Strong interpersonal skills – capable of adopting a variety of styles to interact with clients on the trading floor and senior management to achieve the desired result.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both autonomously and as a team player working in a global function.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the creativity to propose different options and build consensus.
- Show integrity, courage and sound ethical judgement.
- In addition, it would be helpful to have experience in lower carbon fuels, (particularly biofuels and joint ventures) In line with increasing activity in this area, would be very attractive.
At bp, we provide great environment & benefits such as an inclusive culture, a great work-life balance, learning and development opportunities, life & health insurance, medical care package, and many others benefits!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job. application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Job Family Group
Join us and become a trusted advisor delivering legal support to the group focused on material risk, value and growth, protecting ourselves and enabling the realisation of our purpose, strategy, ambition and aims.
Together we will achieve this by:
- providing professional legal advice and counsel to the entities we support
- leading and co-ordinating the identification and management of legal risks
- developing a highly skilled, progressive and diverse legal team
- supporting the entities in the delivery of their accountabilities
- living the bp code and being role models of our values and behaviours