As the designated Compliance/Risk Officer, you will have responsibility for the regulatory compliance of Kraken with all applicable requirements under European/…...
Kraken is changing the world. Join the revolution!
Our mission is to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so that you and the rest of the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. Founded in 2011 and with over 4 million clients, Kraken is one of the world’s largest, most successful bitcoin exchanges and we are growing faster than ever. Our range of successful products are playing an important role in the mainstream adoption of crypto assets. We attract people who constantly push themselves to think differently and chart exciting new paths in a rapidly growing industry. Kraken is a diverse group of dreamers and doers who see value in being radically transparent.
In our first decade Kraken has risen to become one of the best and most respected crypto exchanges in the world. We are changing the way the world thinks about money and finance. The crypto industry is experiencing unprecedented growth and Kraken is leading the charge. We’ve grown from 70 Krakenites in January 2017 to over 1800 today and we have no intention of slowing down.
Overview of the role
This role is based in Dublin. As the designated Compliance/Risk Officer, you will have responsibility for the regulatory compliance of Kraken with all applicable requirements under European/ Irish law, and support the firm to identify risks and the best way to manage them. You will build and manage a small team to ensure that the group is at all times in good regulatory standing in Europe/Ireland.
The ideal candidate should have experience working in a fintech or exchange trading environment, with a deep understanding of requirements applicable to the Kraken’s activity under Payment Services Regulations, Electronic Money Regulations, AMLD5+, MIFID and be aware of new initiatives such as MiCA and the Travel Rule.
- Be responsible for the ongoing compliance of the firm with all applicable regulatory requirements
- Gain an in-depth understanding of operational risks (including technology security risk, operational resilience and business continuity), conduct risks and prudential risks in order to build an effective risk monitoring programme
- Monitor internal and external business, regulatory and technology environments to identify new or emerging risks and verify remediation of issues as applicable.
- Be responsible for the submission, or in some instances the oversight of any relevant regulatory reports/ad hoc filings, STRs/SARs, and any other applications or other filings submitted by Kraken to any relevant local regulatory authority
- Develop and oversee the Compliance Monitoring Programme
- Oversee the implementation of new regulatory requirements as they arise and assist with horizon scanning (in close cooperation with colleagues from the Strategy and Regulatory teams).
- Work closely with the Head of Operations and the MD Europe Initiatives to ensure close alignment and operational compliance efficiencies for regional group entities are implemented.
- Support the Kraken Banking team in responding to compliance related inquiries and due diligence requests from current or prospective banking partners.
- Support the Product Team for any new product roll out in the region.
- Review marketing and sales literature, performance presentations, and other advertising or educational materials for compliance with applicable EU laws and regulations.
- Provide internal training as required.
- J.D., L.L.M., M.B.A. or other advanced degree is preferred but not required
- 8+ years in a previous regulatory or compliance position at a fintech or financial institution
- Previous experience in filing regulatory reports and providing compliance oversight is essential
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Irish and EU regulatory environment, developments, and licensing requirements
- Familiarity with anti-money laundering and know-your-customer best practices in IE/EU markets
- Skilled in collaborating with stakeholders at all levels across technical and non-technical groups
- Ability to lead in a fast growing company environment with focused and hardworking individuals
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique backgrounds and experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives.