Company Description Verse is an EU licensed electronic money institution, and a fast growing fintech company with offices in Barcelona, Madrid, and Vilnius. Verse is part of Cash App, a US based compa
Verse is an EU licensed electronic money institution, and a fast growing fintech company with offices in Barcelona, Madrid, and Vilnius. Verse is part of Cash App, a US based company and financial platform belonging to Block, Inc. In line with Cash App’s mission, Verse is building a product that redefines the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
Through its mobile app, Verse offers different electronic money and payment services, allowing its users to send money, store money, pay bills, and spend using their Verse Card.
Verse has a strong ‘social’ component, and provides several features focused on expenses sharing (groups, events, etc.), social games, and a social feed where users can share their experiences with the rest of the Verse community.
Verse is looking for an internationally minded lawyer to expand its Legal function to support Verse’s growing EU business. The preferred location for this position would be Barcelona or Madrid, Spain. We may also offer the possibility of working entirely remotely within Spain. You will report to Verse’s Product Counsel.
As Verse operates within the financial services industry, our hiring focus is on candidates who wish to combine strong commercial contracting experience with a deep understanding of the financial services industry and its regulatory framework, in particular: payment services, electronic money services, and anti-money laundering. In this context you will serve as a primary point of contact for commercial legal support for our Product, Marketing, Operations, Finance & Strategy, and Compliance teams in Spain and Lithuania, and possibly other regions.
As part of a team supporting a growing and internationally diverse company group you need to be willing to assume a broad range of responsibilities from more abstract and complex legal and compliance matters to more practical tasks requiring a hands-on approach. In return you will get the opportunity to collaborate with highly-qualified legal and compliance professionals, and receive the support from Block and Cash App’s global legal teams. However, you should be able to provide legal deliverables and advice independently.
As the company continues to grow its product, we expect that you will get the opportunity to provide guidance to our Product, Engineering and Operations teams, and Senior Management on issues related to all products and features of our mobile app, throughout the entire product development lifecycle.
For the Commercial Legal function: *
- Draft, structure, review, and negotiate all forms of commercial agreements, transactional documents with partners, vendors, and suppliers.
- Supporting the continuous improvement of Verse’s standard form agreements, contract templates (MSAs, SOWs, Purchase Terms, NDAs), and legal contracting processes and policies.
- Provide legal and strategic business advice to ensure agreements are consistent with internal corporate policies and processes.
- Transaction support for other departments as required.
- Support the Verse Marketing team with a focus on drafting and continuous improvement of terms and conditions for marketing campaigns conducted in the Verse App and social media channels, drafting and review of agreements with influencers, marketing / comms agencies, agreements with partners.
- Work closely with Block and Cash App global legal teams (e.g. Tax, Privacy, Accounting, Product Legal) to provide seamless support to Verse’s business partners.
For the Product legal function:
- Provide legal guidance to product and engineering teams throughout the entire product development lifecycle.
- Assist Product Counsel with the continued improvement of the company’s terms of service, product policies, as well as drafting of consumer disclosures.
- Actively cultivate creative ideas and insights into how legal frameworks can support new product developments and customer experiences.
- Qualified to practice law in Spain or in an EU jurisdiction
- Fluent in English and native Spanish speaker
- 4+ years of relevant commercial / transactional experience in reviewing, drafting & negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts at a top law firm or in-house legal department
- Experience working in the financial services industry, either at a top law firm (providing services to banks or financial institutions), or in-house legal department within a bank, financial institution or tech company.
- Excellent English and Spanish legal drafting, negotiation and communication skills
- Ability to lead complex contract negotiations, and keep all tasks organized and stakeholders clearly informed of deliverables and timelines.
- Excellent time management, analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills, with the ability to think strategically and creatively, and to develop win-win solutions.
- Experience interpreting complex legal topics into understandable and actionable guidance for non-lawyers.
- The preferred location for this position would be Barcelona or Madrid, Spain. For particularly qualified candidates, we will also offer the possibility of working entirely remotely within Spain.
Other desired qualifications (a plus):
- Knowledge of European data protection laws and regulations
- Familiarity with contract management tools
- Fluency in other European languages (e.g. Portuguese, French, Italian, German).
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
Job Type: Full-time