About Uphold Uphold is an easy-to-use investments and payments app. Specialising in digital assets, we serve more than 7 million customers in 150 countries. We open around 15,000 accounts a day and p
Uphold is an easy-to-use investments and payments app. Specialising in digital assets, we serve more than 7 million customers in 150 countries. We open around 15,000 accounts a day and provide consumers with a more versatile and cost-effective home for their daily financial lives. For businesses, we provide regulated infrastructure to connect crypto with fiat currencies. Today, we support 51 digital assets, 28 national currencies, four precious metals and fractional U.S. equities.
Uphold’s unique trading experience – ‘Anything-to-Anything’ – allows customers to trade directly between any supported asset or currency in one step – physical gold to Bitcoin, for example – saving both time and money. Uphold supports financial inclusion by enabling customers virtually anywhere to open an account in less than 5 minutes and to invest with no minimum amounts. Customers can send money to virtually anyone with an email address free of charge.
To learn more, please visit https://uphold.com
We are looking for a Backend Engineer to join our Engineering team. This is an incredibly exciting opportunity where you’ll get to focus on building and improving our consumer and business APIs and the many microservices powering our web and mobile applications. You will be designing and building services with three core principles in mind: maintainability, performance, and security.
If you are excited about high-availability requirements, scalability problems, automated workflows, infrastructure orchestration, queueing systems, APIs and protocols like GraphQL and gRPC, Uphold is the place for you!
What you’ll be doing primarily:
- Building the most powerful, easy to use payment platform in the world.
- Delivering new features and enhancements to our platform.
- Working closely with the Frontend and Mobile Engineering teams to integrate frontend UI.
- Collaborating with product managers, designers, engineers and other project stakeholders throughout the software development life cycle (planning, design, implementation, deployment and support).
- Helping the team keep up-to-date with the tech stack ecosystem.
- Writing high quality code with performance and scalability in mind.
- BS or advanced degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Strong understanding of relational (preferably PostgreSQL) and/or non-relational databases (e.g. Redis).
- Strong understanding of web semantics.
- Knowledge of revision control systems.
- Basic knowledge of standard development pipelines, including build and other automation tools.
- Excellent communication skills and a team player with the ability to work in cross-functional teams, and with a great attitude.
- Fluent written and oral English skills.
Bonus if you have:
- Experience in developing APIs for other products you’ve worked on.
- Developing software interacting with message queues (e.g. Kafka, NSQ, Pulsar or RabbitMQ).
- Experience in integrating APIs from other services providers.
- Proven record of having worked with performance budgets.
- Fluency in cryptocurrencies or other digital assets as they are core to our business.
- Community talks, certifications, and/or blog posts on your interests and research.
- Open source project contributions of any kind, such as tools developed to solve specific problems you’ve had or fixing issues on existing projects.
Importantly, if you’re looking for a senior role with us, you will have achieved many of the things above while also providing mentorship to others, and have engaged in public speaking opportunities.
What we have to offer you:
- An amazing work environment in a company that continues to grow, driven by extraordinary and passionate people that keep up innovating and challenging more each day.
- An international team, in a cutting edge field, working on the most fascinating projects.
- Growth and career opportunities, and the chance to be proactive and creative.
- A flexible and enthusiastic work environment that offers you snacks, a lot of coffee and other great benefits.
- Open and transparent culture – we get together on a weekly basis to share updates, strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over food and drinks.
- Interesting events that keep you connected with the team and celebrate our success.