Vacancy details Details Associate - Commercial - IT - Nottingham Vacancy type Lawyer Level Mid Business area Business services Duration Permanent Hours full time Location Nottingham Reference number J
Associate – Commercial – IT – Nottingham
Associate – Commercial – IT – Nottingham
Why is this role important and how does it fit into the team, department & wider firm?
We are seeking to recruit an experienced solicitor into our growing commercial team in Nottingham. The successful candidate will have sound technical expertise, good client-facing skills and the ability to work well as part of a team are essential requirements.
The role will involve advising and assisting clients in connection with the legal aspects of non-contentious technology, data and commercial transactions, including ICT contracting; IT, BPO and other outsourcing projects; technology procurement projects; distribution and supply agreements; software licensing and development; e-commerce and other web based issues, including social media advice; distance selling and cross-border advice; privacy and data sharing transactions; and a wide range of general commercial transactions. Expertise in cutting edge technologies, such as artificial intelligence (AI) and blockchain would be of interest to our team as we have opportunities to advise clients on these topics. We are also currently involved in providing advice to clients in respect of some of the largest technology projects in the public and health sectors and so experience of public procurement procedures would be advantageous, but not essential.
We are an ambitious and successful group of friendly people with a real drive to be the best at what we do and, although the role is based in our Nottingham office, the candidate will support and work closely with our commercial, regulatory and other teams across the office network, including attending meetings in those locations as required. The team is expanding relatively quickly and you will be heavily involved in the development and implementation of new marketing initiatives and the development of new business development strategies.
We are very committed to professional and personal development and the candidate will benefit from, and be asked to contribute to, programme of training and development for both our team and our clients.
What does the role actually involve?
To be referred to in conjunction with your personal development plan:
- To advise clients upon the IT and other legal aspects of their actual and proposed commercial contracts and arrangements
- To prepare or assist in the preparation and negotiation of complex IT and other commercial contracts
- To maintain visibility and accessibility across the team and to manage client relationships throughout the delivery of legal services
- To help develop and implement marketing and new business development strategies.
- To undertake marketing activities including presenting seminars and contributing to tenders and pitches
- To supervise, mentor and train our junior lawyers and to help the partners develop, engage and excite our junior team
To record time promptly and meet financial goals with a good track record in achieving both targets
Who would be a good fit for this role?
As part of the commercial team, you would be expected to have the following abilities, skills and experience:
- A sound knowledge of the application of general legal principles to commercial situations and arrangements
- The ability to apply this knowledge to the preparation of clear and accurate contracts (drafted from scratch, where necessary), other documentation and advices
- The ability to master complex contracts and regulations with careful attention to detail
- The ability to translate clients’ commercial needs into legally effective solutions and to provide clients with commercially relevant advice
- The ability to negotiate effectively
- The ability to work as part of a team both within the team and within the department and firm as a whole
- Friendly, having excellent empathy whilst being confident and with an appetite to grow the team and the business
- Experience in providing legal advice and assistance on commercial contracts and other commercial matters
- A team player with high levels of personal commitment and initiative whilst also able to supervise others and delegate work
- Be flexible, enthusiastic, ambitious, focussed, results orientated and keen to take responsibility and develop the business
- An effective communicator able to establish and maintain harmonious and professional relationships with clients and colleagues
- Attentive to detail, keeping up-to-date with legal developments
- Willing to spend time if required in the Birmingham, Exeter, Manchester and Nottingham offices
Willing to spend time with clients on short-term secondments if required
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent