Senior £56,000 to £75,000. Design and build Android applications, experiments, and proof of concepts. Drive the innovation of Lush’s technology stack, its…...
Android Developer/Creative Technologist
Mid-weight £41,000 to £55,000
Senior £56,000 to £75,000
Diversify our future
We are building a brand that represents the people of the world. It’s what you do that counts, and we are always looking to expand perspectives and voices to shape our future.
We see you, we celebrate you, we want you!
Who we are
You might know us as the inventors of the bath bomb, but there’s more to this great-smelling, partly employee-owned, family-run company than pioneering cosmetics. We believe our business should put more back into the world than it takes and demonstrate that capitalism can be a force for good. We put our people first and fight cruel practices like animal testing, promote regeneration, and show that it is what’s inside that counts – whether that’s an ingredient in a product, or the minerals in a smartphone.
Tech Warriors is Lush’s technology R&D team, where solutions to business problems and opportunities are rapidly concepted, iterated and perfected before they are scaled up to support our global business. From utilising AI technology to eradicate the need for plastic packaging, to building our own ethical tablet, Tech Warriors are responsible for discovering, reimagining, and reshaping how Lush utilises and integrates technologies across all aspects of the business and beyond.
What you’ll do:
- Working in a fast-paced, dynamic, multidisciplinary global team that adapt and learn new skills and technologies as needs of the business change
- Design and build Android applications, experiments, and proof of concepts
- Drive the innovation of Lush’s technology stack, its tooling and processes, and its offerings to customers through the exploration and introduction of new ideas and approaches
- Collaborate directly with other teams both technical and non-technical from around the business, helping them discover technical solutions to business problems, and furthering their impact on the business and customers
- Work with development teams of various disciplines to create an end-to-end product within an agreed time scale
- Fix bugs in existing software and improve using the latest technologies
- Unit-test code with a TDD approach and provide test suites for QAs to run, to ensure stability
- Document software and processes
- Support deployment of applications internally or to customers and provide post-deployment support
- Support the open-sourcing and documentation of technologies to enable other developers to adopt our freely distributed code
Who you are:
- Have extensive experience with the Android SDK, a comprehensive understanding of application lifecycle, and OS integration
- Practical experience of Git and Git-flow
- Experience with Java and Kotlin and global software deployment tools such as Google Play, TestFairy, and Mobilock
- Experience working with remote data technologies such as REST, JSON, GraphQL
- Familiarity working with Cloud-based technologies, preferably Google Cloud/Firebase
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Comfortable working independently on challenging technical problems, and able to adapt and deliver to deadlines
- You have knowledge and experience with CI pipelines such as GitLab/Bitrise etc
- An interest in a broad range of technologies and how these impact the Android ecosystem, for example, the use of embedded Android in IoT, on-device OCR/Image labeling/Face detection via TensorFlow Lite, Blockchain, and the potential of distributed applications
What’s it like working for Lush
People are at the heart of our business. We want you to enjoy and challenge yourself, build a career, and teach us what we don’t know, so we’ve created a culture where your job description is a starting point, not an end goal. Our working style is flexible, fluid, supportive, and authentic – if you’ve got the drive to push yourself and try different things, you will have our support.
You can find more information here – weare.lush.com
- 50% discount on Lush products and spa treatments
- Bonus scheme
- Pension scheme
- Day off for weekday birthdays
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted rail and bus season tickets
- Employee assistance programme
- 6 months’ full pay for parental leave (primary caregiver)
- Financial childcare support on return to work
- Flexible working
- We’re 10% Employee Owned, our colleagues have the opportunity to influence positive change in the business and have their voice heard
- Support groups, film nights, yoga, meditation sessions and much more
If all this sounds like you, please send us your CV and covering letter, detailing why you want to become a part of the cosmetic revolution.
As we pride ourselves on internal development, priority will be given to candidates who have an in-depth knowledge of Lush, coupled with the relevant experience, skills and approaches.