The AI-driven Systems Research Area led by ICREA's Professor Xavier Costa is looking for a talented researcher with a strong background in the field of mobile networks and experience in applied AI. Th
The AI-driven Systems Research Area led by ICREA’s Professor Xavier Costa is looking for a talented researcher with a strong background in the field of mobile networks and experience in applied AI. The Scientific group focuses its research and development activities on new challenging concepts, such as network/RAN virtualization, network programmability, network slicing, mmwave, smart surfaces, etc. with a particular interest on their applications towards the society digital transformation. Expected 6G use cases, such as AI-based automation of mobile networks, mission-critical communications and wireless sensing, will be carefully evaluated and corresponding solutions will be designed and implemented in our lab premises.
The work focuses on the analytical evaluation of solutions designed as well as proof of concepts both for public and industrial R&D projects in collaboration with industrial and academic partners.
Work objectives are concept studies and evaluation, research prototype software development, publications as well as IPR creation. The research work will be carried out in an international team of researchers.
Who we are:
The i2CAT Foundation is a CERCA centre with the vision of leading the challenge of designing and building the digital society of the future based on research and innovation in advanced digital technologies. Highlighting the generation of talent and in order to generate economic and social impact, i2CAT wants to turn Catalonia into a creative, empowered and innovative society, where knowledge and digital technology are at the service of people, promoting:
- The generation of excellence knowledge aimed at solving the challenges of companies, citizens and public administration (mission-driven research).
- The collaboration and establishment of synergies with other agents of the local ecosystem of research and digital innovation to co-develop solutions and products that generate a transformative impact.
- The digital empowerment of citizens through digital, open, participatory social innovation with territorial capillarity.
- The leadership of pioneering initiatives and tractors that increase the international projection and visibility of Catalonia as a digital and innovative country.
i2CAT is a constantly growing organization that has extensive experience in the leadership and development of research and innovation projects at national and international level in the technological fields of 5G, Internet of Things (IoT), virtual and immersive technologies, Cybersecurity, Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, Space Communications and digital society technologies.
Want to know more? Visit our webpage! (http://www.i2cat.net/)
What do we offer?
- Work from our offices or from home, whichever works best for you. We only ask for two days in person at the office to coordinate with the rest of the team.
- This is a full time vacancy
- You will have a flexible work schedule so that you can reconcile your personal life with the professional one.
- Intensive hours every Friday of the year and every day in July and August
- Fix + variable salary
- Possibility of receiving part of your remuneration in kind (restaurant, transport, nursery or medical insurance)
- 25 working days of annual leave (the common 22 + 3 additional ones)
- You can access the UPC gym at a reduced price
- If you are interested, you can participate in events of your sector.
- You will work with a laptop. You can choose your work environment, Mac, Linux or Windows.
- You can ask us for training of your interest.
- We will work so that you have a career plan to promote your growth and development.
Where will you do it?
At i2CAT we already have an established telework policy for some time. You can work from home or from the office, whichever suits you best. We ask that you attend the office two days per week, one to stay connected with the team and the other one to establish relations.
If you decide to come to the office, we are located in Zona Universitària, next to the Campus Nord of the UPC, within a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment. It is a very well connected area (metro, tram, bus) with bars and restaurants around.
Our offices are designed with an open-office concept where everything is light and transparency (we do not have opaque rooms). We have a variety of workspaces so that you don’t have to be at the same table all day.
i2CAT is an organization committed to equal opportunities. That is why we seek to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented, and therefore explicitly encourage the female collective to apply.
i2CAT is an organization committed to diversity and we seek to increase the number of people with disabilities in our team.
If what you have read sounds good to you… let’s have a coffee and we will tell you more!
In case you liked it but it is not your job offer, you may know someone else who fits perfectly and whom you would like to recommend!
- PhD degree in Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- Research publications in top-tier venues
- Excellent academic record
- Mobile network architecture and protocols
- Artificial Intelligence basics
- Data Science basics
- Network virtualization concepts
- Network programmability
- Operational networks traces analysis
- Network optimization models
- Prototyping for PoC demonstrations
- Software development under UNIX-based system (Linux, FreeBSD etc.)
Nice to have:
- Participation in EU funded research projects
- International experience as a postdoc researcher
- Experience preparing project proposals
- Experience as a research team leader/mentoring of students
- Experience with AI frameworks, e.g. pytorch …
- Practical experience with commercial network equipment
- Access points, base stations, switches, EPC, …
- Software-defined Radio (SDR) such as FPGA (e.g., NI USRP), mmwave COTS
- mmwave networks
- Wireless Sensing
- IPR generation experience
- Teaching experience